Chapter 8: The Vaulting Boots of Valtorr

"Oh my God!" I shout as I fall to the ground. I look up and see a smirking face looking down at me. Stephen. He gives a hearty laugh. I roll my eyes and sit up on my knees.

"Ha, ha. Yes, very funny. You just love scaring me. Don't you, Doctor?" I ask, sarcastically while brushing the dirt from my shorts and hands.

"I mean, you're just such an easy target," he says, sheepishly. I give him a devilish smile as I think of my comeback. He narrows his eyes in anticipation.

"You said that something looked good, right? What did you say looked good? My stance or my butt?" I ask, bluntly. Stephen's eyes go wide, and his mouth opens in shock. His face gets red.

"Y/n, I meant your stance, and you know that. I wouldn't look at your butt. I promise," he says, quickly with a scared tone. I stand up and go up to him.

"Are you sure about that, Doctor? Because it was way up there?" I question, intently. He swallows.

"Yes. Yes, I'm sure. It's just that we do yoga a lot to center ourselves as users of the mystic arts. To become one with ourselves. I was just commenting on how well you were doing the stance. Many people can't do it so nicely," he explains, flustered. I cross my arms across my chest and give him a disapproving look while he looks at me with scared, worried eyes. It goes on for a few seconds when I let out a chuckle. I grab onto Stephen's shoulder to keep myself grounded as the laugh overtakes me.

"I'm playing with you, Stephen. But, hey, thanks for the compliment," I say, still slightly laughing.

"Ha ha ha," Stephen says sarcastically, backing away to let my hand fall to my side.

"You scare me. I scare you. Two can play at this game," I say with a smirk. He rolls his eyes.

"I'll keep that in mind," he says, with a huff. I suddenly snap out of my thoughts as I realize he caught me just about to run, which is exactly what I didn't want him to do.

"What are you doing out here?" I ask, suddenly. Stephen looks at me with questioning eyes.

"What are you doing out here?" he retorts.

"I asked first," I snap back.

"That you did," Stephen says with a smile. "I have to take out the trash," he says, raising the trash bag in his left hand that I didn't notice until now.

"You have to take out the trash? Don't you all have custodians or cleaners?" I ask. Stephen chuckles.

"No, I wish. We all do our part to keep it clean here, and today just happened to be my day to take out the trash. Which reminds me, we'll have to get you on the cleaning schedule," he says with a smirk.

"Oh, yay, cleaning," I say, sarcastically. "So, Wong didn't tell you I was out here?" I ask.

"Wong? No, I haven't seen him since yesterday afternoon," he says.

"Are you sure?" I question, intently.

"Yes, I'm sure," he answers.

"Oh," I say looking down.

"So, now you can answer my question. What are you doing out here?" he asks. I look up and sigh and take the defeat.

"I'm going on a run," I respond. Stephen's eyebrows arch up in surprise.

"Really? Why didn't you tell me this morning at breakfast?" he asks.

"I- Well, I-" I stutter. Stephen comes over and puts a gloved hand on my shoulder. There is a concerned look on his face.