Chapter 11: The Disturbance

"Are you sure you're, okay?" Stephen asks again. I roll my eyes as I plop down on the bench beside the large tree to rewrap my elbow.

"Yes, Stephen. For the thousandth time. I'm okay," I respond. I look up at him. He has his hands on his hips and concern and determination written on his face. While he is really hot like that, I turn my attention back to my elbow.

"I just don't understand why you want to keep training. You worked so hard yesterday and today. You deserve a break, y/n," he explains. Today is two days after I surprised Stephen with my bond with the boots, and since then, I've only gotten better. I told him that I wanted to stay a little while longer to train with my boots and wooden staff. There are not a lot of people left in the courtyard, so I thought it would be peaceful. Now, Stephen is questioning me relentlessly. As I finish bandaging my elbow, I look up with a smile.

"I just want to practice more. That's all. Strengthen that bond, you know?"

"Yeah. Uh huh. There's more to it than just that. I mean I totally understand wanting to train more. I do it myself. But something is off," he explains. I frown.

"Stephen, nothing is wrong. Why are you so determined to get something out of me?" I question. He drops his hand to his side and walks closer to me. He is wearing the tunic set from the day I first met him. It's a dark blue, long sleeved tunic top, that comes down almost to his knees. His brown belt is very intricate and layered, with a silver circle in the middle and tassels coming off of it. He looks really good in it, I have to say.

"Y/n, I think I know you well enough to know when something is wrong," he says gently. I sigh.

"Fine, you win. I can't lie anymore." I look down at my boots. "I had- I umm... I had the dream last night again." A few seconds pass.

"Oh, y/n. I thought they were going away," he says quietly.

"They- They were. I haven't had one since like five days ago. But last night, it just- It just was there." I blink hard to try to keep from crying. The images of the dream flash in my head.

The smoke. The blood. The loss. Stephen. Me.

Before I can think about it anymore, I feel the soft touch of Stephen's hand on my shoulder. I look up and see his kind, beautiful eyes.

"You know- You know you could have come to me," he whispers. I nod.

"I know. I just wanted you to sleep through the night."

"Y/n, I'm not going to be able to sleep through the night knowing you are having these nightmares," he responds. I slightly smile at his compassion.

"I'm sorry. That's why I'm training some more. Just to get those images out of my mind."

"I understand wanting to get your mind off of bad things. I really do. But just- Next time come to me if it happens again. Please," he pleads.

"I will." He takes his other hand and places the tips of his fingers lightly on my cheek. Even the little contact makes me feel better.

"Promise me you will. I don't want you to have to go through it alone," he says.

"I promise," I respond. He smiles slightly, dropping his hand off of my face. My heart drops. I want it back.

"Good. Thank you." He takes a deep breath and exhales. He looks to his side and then looks back. "Welp, I'm going to go inside and make us some dinner. And when it's ready I'll let you know. How does that sound?" he asks. I smile brightly.

"That sounds great, Steph," I answer. I got so freaking lucky to meet someone like him.

"Anything for you, kid. Have a good session and really look deep in yourself and find your peace," he says, taking his hand off my shoulder.