Chapter 12: The Sanctum Sanctorum

We don't die. We are flung across the room into a door. The door is pushed open, and I land on my back. Hard. It feels like I landed on tile. The air gets knocked out of me. My eyes are closed tight as I try to get my breathing regular again. I take deep breaths but realize that there is something preventing me from raising my chest. I squint my eyes open because I don't want the smoke and dust to get in them. They widen suddenly when I realize that Stephen is on top of me. His arms are on either side of my head, protecting me from the blast. His eyes are closed from the pain, and my heart hurts for him. I hate to see him in pain just to protect me.

The last from rocks crumble on his back when he opens his eyes quickly. He stares down at me. My face blushes due to our proximity.

"Y/n," he says frantically. "Are you okay?" he asks, his voice filled with concern. I cough a little bit.

"I- I'm okay. I think," I respond. He takes his hand and brings it to my forehead.

"You're bleeding," he says quietly, while examining my head. I wince in pain as he touches it. "Sorry," he whispers out.

"You're fine. I guess I am." I look closer at his face and notice several cuts all over. "Oh my God! You are too!" I exclaim. He looks back at me.

"I'll be fine," he responds. He takes a look at our situation. Him on top of me. He swallows quickly, and slowly rolls over and gets up. As he does, he grunts in pain. I take a few deep breaths to get my breathing normal as I sit up. Stephen sticks out his hand for me. I grab it, and he pulls me up. I grunt as well. My stupid elbow is throbbing, and there is probably no pain medicine around. As soon as I get up, Stephen lets go and looks at the wall that has closed up. A few rocks fall from above making Stephen and I back up.

"Wong? Mordo?" Stephen calls out. There's no response. He turns back with a discouraged look. "Dammit. There is no way to go back," he sighs. He comes back over and looks at my head. "Your cut should be fine once I get it cleaned up. It shouldn't leave a scar," he explains. I smile slightly.

"Okay, good. But I'm more worried about you. You have a lot more cuts than me, and you took the brunt of the explosion." He has a big cut on his forehead with a lot of blood, one on his cheek, and then one on his other cheek near his jawbone. They have to hurt. He has to be in pain.

"I- I'm fine. Y/n," he says roughly. I look at him questioningly. I try not to take his rudeness personally. He has a lot on his mind right now with everything that just happened. He probably also really doesn't want me to know that he's in pain. Before I say anything else, he turns and starts walking to a doorway.

"Where are you going?" I ask, rushing after him.

"No clue," he responds. We walk past a blue colored wall, with a large silver clock. I turn back trying to catch up. I look at his back, and it's covered in dust and dirt. That's probably what my clothes look like too.

"Do you even know where the heck we are?" I question, out of breath. He stops suddenly, and I run right into him.

"Uph," I say. I scoot back and look up at his bewildered face. "What? What is it?" I ask. While he looks down at me, I look up to see what he was looking at. "Oh my God..." I say aloud. We are in one of the most beautiful rooms I've ever been in. There's a huge staircase made of beautiful wood. I see Stephen slowly start turning around looking at the room. I follow suit. There are so many large paintings and artifacts that look like they should be in a museum. There are couches and chairs for people to sit at and lamps all around. The floor is a beautiful tile pattern, and the ceiling is super high with a large round window to let the sun illuminate the room. Stephen's heavy breathing brings me back to reality. I see him looking around in dismay.