Chapter 10: The Bond

I slip out of the side door and the fresh air hits my face with a welcome. I smile and take a deep breath. I swear that the crisp air can cure literally anything. I feel the oh-so soft fur of Trash on my ankles. I look down and smile at the scruffy dog.

    "Hey, buddy. How are you?" I ask, bending down to pet him. He gives a little yip in response. "That's good to know. I'll make sure I refill your bowls when I get back." He sits at my feet and cocks his head. "Oh, I'm about to go on a run. I got new boots. You like them?" I stand up and show them off. He licks my left boot.

    "I'll take that as a 'yes'," I say with a little laugh. "It doesn't really go with my outfit, but who's looking?" Trash nuzzles up against me as if agreeing. "I would love to stay and play, but I really have to go," I explain. I've decided that I'm not going to do my stretches because I've already done tons of exercise today during training, and heaven forbid Stephen find me out here like he did last time. I just don't know what to say to him. I need time. I mean I want to talk to him. I truly do. But maybe this run will help me think. They always do. I turn to leave.

"Bye, Trash! See you soon." I turn back and walk down the alley to the very end. I turn right and see the entrance of Kamar-Taj. No one is coming in or out. I can also see the faint silhouettes of people walking along the dirt roads, kids playing, and people talking. The very few streetlights make just the middle of the road lit from the dark sky above. I walk out and decide to go down the street where I can run without bumping into people. God, that was embarrassing. I nod my head to the people passing by. I wave at the little children. I even pet a stray cat that ran over to me. But as soon as I pet it, it ran back into the darkness. I couldn't even tell what color it was. I sigh and keep walking.

After walking for about five minutes, I decide that it's good if I start. I haven't seen anyone in a while, and I believe I'm in a less populous side of town. I gently roll my left arm, and there is a slight pain. But not enough to stop me from running. I mean, it's basically numb by now. Don't worry. Don't worry. I'll take care of it when I get back. I'm not that bad to myself. I mean I had to keep myself healthy during track, tennis, and soccer sessions. I can wrap up an injury and get it looking new in no time.

I take a deep breath and start jogging down the dirt road. The boots feel amazing! God, they're like running in specialty track shoes. I wish I had mine, but they're probably ruined. Nope. I'm not going to think about that. No, no. I'm going to run to create a bond with the boots. Yeah, create a bond...

How the heck do you create a bond with an inanimate item? I can see how Stephen did with Lev because he moves by himself and has a personality. I mean he's approachable, and you can have somewhat of a conversation with him. And the boots...are not. They don't talk or move by themselves. They're just there, like a regular pair of boots. But they're magical, and that's the only thing that's different about them. So how the heck am I supposed to bond with something that I can't even talk to? God!

I start running faster. Okay. Okay. So Mordo said it's like a relationship, right? So, when you want a relationship with someone, you hang out with them. Well, I'm hanging out while running with them right now. So... While you hang out, you usually talk. Yeah, that's how people get to know each other, by talking. Something that I wish Stephen would do more. God, all I want to know is more about you. No. Nope, y/n. You're focused on the boots not Stephen. You can deal with Stephen later.

Okay, so what if I talk to them. Yeah, let's do that. Hopefully no one's around, or that would be really weird. A girl running while talking to her boots. Yeah, let's hope everyone's in their homes.

"Okay, boots. Guys. Girls. Or do you have a gender?" I ask out loud. God, I'm so annoying. Why am I asking a pair of boots that question? I roll my eyes and start over. "Okay, boots. So you can walk on air. That part I know. Remember. When I fell." I keep running, and there's no reaction. "Okay...So I'm guessing you did that on purpose. Noted. Let's just not talk about it anymore," I explain with a nod. I probably look so stupid right now.