Chapter 15: The Car Accident

Authors Note: I have a Spotify playlist for my book. I will link it here and will put it in the story where I song should be played. I hope you all enjoy that!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4oedd0QPycR0wIyG9BeTx5?si=ZIeFwtj8TD2x0vAEKU6gRA&app_destination=copy-link
Username: kinsey✨
Playlist Title: pov: you're slowly falling in love with stephen strange

Stephen's eyes bore into mine. They are filled with disappointment, and I think anger. I'm not sure if it's anger towards the Ancient One, Mordo, or me. I swallow the lump in my throat and look down. I can't stand to look at his eyes any longer, my eyes stinging from the hot tears threatening to spill out at any moment. I hear him start walking, and he passes me. I turn around and watch as he opens his bedroom door. He looks at me and gestures for me to go inside the room. I nod silently and quickly make my way inside the room, keeping my head down. I go over to the left corner and stand as I hear Stephen shut the door behind him. It's dark in the room and very chilly. I bring my hands up to my bare arms and rub them. Stephen goes to the middle of the room and snaps his fingers. Immediately, all the candles light up and the lamp turns on. I instantly feel warmer, but the mood of the room does not change.

"So, when are you going to teach me that?" I ask, breaking the silence. Stephen doesn't respond. He doesn't even look in my direction. I really need to know when to shut up. He shrugs off Lev, and he goes and floats over to the corner next to the couch. I turn my attention back to Stephen. His posture says it all. He looks defeated from just his back and shoulders. He crosses the room and sits on the bed closest to me. He puts his hands on his knees with a sigh and looks up with confusion and disappointment. I can no longer sense any anger, but my heart is still thudding against my chest. It feels like it's about to burst out.

"What the hell was that, y/n?" he asks with no discernible emotion in his voice. Which is almost worse than hearing anger.

"What was what?" I ask quickly in retaliation.

"Y/n, I'm really not in the mood for your jokes right now. Why did you act like that?" he asks, this time with annoyance radiating off the question.

"Well, you sure as hell wasn't going to say anything," I respond, trying to keep my eyes glued on him. The tears still on the verge of spilling over.

"What was there to say, y/n?"

"Hmm... I don't know. Say that you don't have to take that. That you were doing it in self-defense. Anything than just standing there and taking it," I explain with an attitude.

"Y/n, you were about to slap the man. You let your anger take a hold of you as you've done before," he responds. I scoff. How dare he say that. He has no idea how I feel.

"Well, you weren't exactly talking in an inside voice." I see Stephen's jaw clench in frustration.

"I don't need you to take care of my problems, y/n. I can handle myself," he replies with anger rising in his voice.

"I can handle myself too," I respond harshly.

"Really? I can't have you going around slapping people just because you're angry about something they said. People are going to make you angry, but that doesn't mean you can go around hitting them," he explains like I'm a little kid.

"I'm not a child, Stephen. I understand the difference between right and wrong, and I can make my own decisions."

"Do you? Do you really? Because I feel as though I have to watch you all the time to make sure you don't hurt yourself or others." My mouth opens in shock. My heart breaks on hearing those words. And to think he actually liked hanging out with me and that we were friends.