Chapter 7

My flight back to Nashville was supposed to leave at around 1:30 in the afternoon and I had so much to do before I had to get to the airport. I woke up that morning to give me enough time to do my hair and put on some makeup. I had to finish packing up my suitcase and I had to take Ace and Penny for their morning walk before we could leave. By around 9:45 I had finally finished packing my suitcase and I was ready to head to the airport.

            “Good morning, Ms. Underwood. Your ride to the airport is out here waiting for you” the desk attendant said.

            “Thank you so much” I said graciously to the attendant. I walked out the front of the hotel to find this beautiful man, leaning up against his truck. I stopped dead in my tracks realizing it was Mike and dropped all of my bags. I ran right to him and jumped right up in to his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck, kissing him. I was so happy to be able to see him one last time before I left for Nashville and headed back on to the road.

            “Oh my gosh, Mike! I can’t believe you’re here!” I cried.

            “I couldn’t just let you leave so easily! Not after last night” he replied. I wanted to cry because I was happy that I was getting to see him one last time before I left. I hopped in to his truck, and as soon as I placed Ace and Penny on my lap, Penny immediately crawled across the car to sit on Mike’s lap.

            “Penny!” I said, “Come back here!”

            “Hey, Care, don’t worry about it! I love dogs” Mike replied” As we were driving, Mike had put on the country radio station and my song “Cowboy Casanova” came on the radio station. Mike immediately turned up the volume so that it was blasting through the car, and starting singing along to it.

            “Mike!” I exclaimed

            “What?” he asked me with a puzzled look on his face.

            “I hate hearing myself on the radio” I laughed. “It just sounds awkward and I can’t deal with how I sound on the radio.”

            “Oh well” he replied, and turned the radio back up and started singing along. I just looked at him and laughed. I couldn’t help it so I joined in and started singing along. As we were driving we started seeing signs for the airport my heart started to break. We finally arrived at the airport, and I refused to get out of the car. I wanted to cry, even though I knew that I would eventually see Mike again. When I got out of the car I put Ace and Penny in their respectable crates and put them on the ground. I retrieved my suitcase from the back of Mike’s truck and could feel a tear start to trickle down my cheek. I wiped it away quickly before Mike was able to see but it was too late. I turned around and he was standing right there.

            “It’s ok, Carrie. Remember what I said to you that last night that I surprised you in Toronto?” he said. I shook my head, not responding. Mike grabbed my chin in his hand and tilted my chin up so that we made direct eye contact. “It’s ok to cry. Trust me, I feel the same, but we’ll see each other soon again. I promise” he said. I wrapped my arms around his big, muscular body and leaned my head against his chest and let a few more tears fall down my face. I let go of him and went to retrieve my suitcase, but Mike grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him and I just couldn’t help but laugh and smile. He pulled me back in to his body and kissed me. He put his hands on my head and let his hands lace themselves with my hair. I wrapped my arms away and kissed him as passionately as he kissed me, never letting go. Mike walked me in to the airport; and I finally checked in for my flight and was ready to make it to security. Mike walked me to the line for security. I hooked my arms around his neck with his arms around my waist, with our foreheads resting on each others.

            “Soon” I whispered to him.

            “Soon” he replied back. “I promise.” We stood like that for the next few minutes not saying a thing, but it felt like torture and I couldn’t do that to myself and longer. I finally gave in and kissed him softly on the lips and let go of him. I gathered my belongings and walked in to the security. I turned around and gave him a little goodbye wave with a wink.

            “Soon” I said to myself, “Soon.”