Chapter 3

The smell of fresh linen and a familiar song playing in the background woke me.

Who's gonna tell you when it's too late?

Who's gonna tell you things aren't so great?

You can't go on, thinking nothing's wrong, but now.

Who's gonna drive you home tonight?

My eyes surveyed my surroundings the moment I opened them. I'm inside the Morrison's house. This wasn't the best way to react to seeing my long-lost best friend, but that wasn't the best way to show up after a long time either. Overwhelmed was an understatement.

He was leaning against the opening to the living room. I immediately tensed up when our eyes met. I didn't know how to react other than in shock.

He was frowning again. "You should drink some water."

I glanced at the coffee table and saw the glass of water. With steady hands, I took a sip out of it. It was refreshing.

Music continued to play in the background, and it was the only thing keeping the tension between us at bay. I'm still feeling it, though. I hope he doesn't notice.

"This was very short notice, but I'm really sorry for freaking you out."

My hands gripped the glass of water, trying my best not to crush it between my fingers. I felt like there was a big lump stuck in my throat. In my mind, I tried to come up with a coherent answer.

"It's crazy how I didn't even recognize you at the café." I muttered.

"I did expect that."

"It's not like I don't remember you," I paused. Maybe getting straight to the point would be better. "After all these years, why now?"

"I won't take offense to that, really. I pretty much disappeared from your life, and it would take me a while to explain myself to you regarding that question. You know I'll always tell you whatever you need to hear."

At least he took some accountability for the situation. I don't want to be guarded around him, but I do have every right to feel upset about his unexpected return.

I looked into his eyes, as if I can find a better way to respond to him. My mind was just blanking out.

"Excuse me if I don't know how to react properly about this." I mumbled.

He rubbed at his arm. "I understand if you want to talk about this tomorrow. I don't want to hold you up here. I reckon you were in the middle of some errands run before you checked in here."

"Yeah, it's best if I did get going. I still have dinner to prepare. My hunger might have contributed to me passing out." I chuckled weakly.

He pursed his lip and nodded.

I placed the glass of water back on the coffee table as I stood up.

"Good to see you again, Jake. I'll see you tomorrow." I acknowledged.

He smiled softly. "Really happy to see you again, Ronnie."

I walked past him and closed the door behind me. I'm not sure how long I was out, but it was already dark. Now to pick up where I left off, I went to my car to bring my groceries back to my place.

* * * * *

Tonight is not the night to get sucked into a series binge. Netflix has been my frequent place for entertainment. Random browsing made me wander into live action Japanese series on Netflix. The title I watched was called Izakaya Bottakuri, which is apparently based on a Manga. So far, I've been enjoying it. I like a feel-good series.