Chapter 1: The journals

Elsa's POV:

It had been 4 days after Kristoff broke Anna's heart and she had locked herself in her room. Everyday I could hear gentle sobs coming from behind the closed door, but like I had once before, she had shut me out. I sat outside the door most nights and read her a story because that always used to help me. I knew she hadn't been sleeping well, I always heard her pacing around her room in the early hours of the morning. She keeps blaming herself for the breakup, saying that she should've changed and gone to live in the village by herself. I gently knock on the door. "Anna please come out."
"N-No thank you." Anna said as her voice trembled.
"Anna you need to eat at some point. Please." I said concerned. It was clear as day to everyone that I was very worried about Anna's wellbeing. The maids and guards were always asking me if Anna had come out yet. I take a deep breath. "Fine if you're not coming out. I'm coming in." I use my power to break the lock on the door and open it slowly.

My eyes meet Anna and I gasp when I see her. Her hair was unbrushed and tangled, she had bags under her ocean eyes and she looked so pale. I rushed over to her and hugged her tightly. "Anna look at you. You're making yourself sick." I whisper.
Anna tried to push me away but eventually gave up and started sobbing into my shoulder. I held her through it and stroked her hair. "Right come on I'm getting you ready for today and we are going to explore the castle together." I said grabbing Anna's brush and gently brushing her hair. Once finished I tied it up in two braids and her auburn hair glowed in the sunlight. She still had a faint white streak in it from where I struck her with my out of control powers earlier that year.
"Elsa?" Anna whispered looking down at her feet. "Am I a bad person?"
"What? Anna no, of course you're not a bad person. What on earth gave you that impression?" I said gently taking Anna's hands in mine.
"I pushed Kristoff away..." She mumbled.
"No Anna, Kristoff pushed himself away. He said he hated Arendelle and didn't feel like he belonged here. That wasn't your fault. You tried to help him settle but he pushed you away. Anna, you've got to stop blaming yourself. Its gonna hurt because you really loved him but you're going to be OK." I said gently stroking her fringe out of her eyes. "Get dressed and meet me outside my room."
Anna nodded and went to get dressed. "Your majesty, there's something I'd like to show you something." Henry our servant said quietly poking his head round the door. "Its important..."

I raised an eyebrow and nodded before following Henry to a room I had never seen in my life. "A secret room?"
"This used to be your mothers study. I think its time you learned the truth." Henry said softly handing me a torch. "Head down the corridor and there should be a switch to turn the light on. I'll leave you to explore." He turned and left, leaving me in complete darkness.
I headed down the corridor and thought to myself. "What truth could Henry possibly want me to see?" I shake off the uncomfortable feeling and before long I stop and stare at the room around me. Mother's old study! I'd never been allowed to go into it before, but now being here felt really strange. I walk over to her desk and smiled. Everything was exactly as she'd left it years before. I traced my fingers over the letter she was writing before my eyes caught something glinting in the light. I raise an eyebrow and pick up a journal from the ground. The gold lettering glinting in the pale light. I open it and see several pieces of writing, observations, secrets that I never knew. But one in particular caught my eye. It was about Anna and when I read it, my eyes widened and dropped the journal in shock. I shook my head and sat down on the chair behind Mother's desk. Before long I had placed my head on the desk and fell asleep.

Anna's POV:
I didn't want to be out of my room. I really didn't feel like being sociable to anyone. I miss Kristoff so much and all I want is him back. I knew he hated Arendelle from the beginning but I never thought he hated it so much he broke up with me. Every little thing brings tears to my eyes at the moment and I just want it to stop. I want my boyfriend back, I want everything to be OK again. I know Elsa's worried about me but I can't tell anyone how I feel. I sigh and head out to find Elsa before realising she's nowhere to be found. "Henry? Where's Elsa?" I ask one of the servants.
"She's in your mothers old study Princess Anna. The door should be open." Henry said before turning away.
Mother's old study? I nod, thank Henry and head off to find Elsa. Upon finding the door to the study, I head down and find Elsa with her head on the desk.
"Elsa you OK?" I ask softly.
"Anna! Oh thank the stars you're here." Elsa said getting up.
She walked over to the bookshelf and picked up the open book on the floor. "There's something that Mother had been meaning to tell you... She was going to tell you when she came back from Atohallen." Elsa said opening the journal. "Don't get mad..."
"I won't Elsa, I promise." I said biting my lip.
Elsa nodded and began reading the passage:
Dear Diary
Upon writing this entry Anna will be turning 18 and Elsa 21. Our girls are growing up too fast. Agnarr and I are heading to Atohallen today to find some answers to Elsa's ice powers. However, there is a secret we have been keeping from Anna for a very long time and I think its best to tell her when we come home. I'll write it here so that it won't be as hurtful for Anna. When Agnarr and I had Elsa, we couldn't have anymore children afterwards. We wanted Elsa to have a sibling so when she was about 8, we went on a search to find a child. The King of the Southern Isles had 14 children, thirteen boys and the youngest a little girl called Anna. Anna had been hurt by her older brothers and the King pushed her aside and ignored her because she wasn't a boy. So we adopted her and she's been here ever since. Anna didn't speak for the first 5 years she was with us, we adopted her at 5, and she still doesn't really speak now. I felt horrible shutting Elsa out after Anna got hurt, they've always had such a close bond. Elsa loves Anna with all heart and Anna refused to leave her side. She's always been stubborn. I hope Anna that when I tell you this, you don't want to go and find your birth family because believe me, they were nasty people.

My eyes widened. "I-Im adopted?"
Elsa nodded and shut the journal. "But that doesn't change things Anna, I still love you like you're my biological sister."
"Elsa I kissed my brother. In fact I got engaged to my brother! Why didn't you tell me sooner?!" I say taking the journal from Elsa.
"Hey woah, I didn't know Anna. Ive only just found the journals..." Elsa said weakly. "I didn't know Hans was your brother. I'm sorry Anna."
I nod before taking the journal and heading back to my room. I needed to be alone right now. I slam the door and curl up on my bed.

This can't be true can it? If Hans is my brother, why didn't he say something? He does realise that what he did was wrong... Much more wrong than it already was.
I take a deep breath and sit up. My head hurts like hell. I take a deep breath and lock my door. I don't want to talk to anyone, especially not Elsa. Little did I know the mess I was about to get myself into...