Chapter Thirty Seven: Black

"Charlie!" I exclaimed and pushed him back in the hut, closing the door behind me.

          He had a gash on the left side of his temple and another gash down below the left side of his collarbone. I sat him on Hagrid's armchair and told him to take off his shirt. He got his right half out but he couldn't lift his left side very well. After I opened up Hagrid's first aid kit on the table, I helped Charlie take off his shirt. We were both too focused on his injury to care about decency. The cuts weren't deep but he was bleeding a lot from his temple. I pressed gauze on his cut and put his right hand on it to keep the pressure. Using a rag, I wiped Charlie's chest and he grunted.

          "Stop fussing," I hissed.

          He chuckled and then winced from the pain, "Thanks, Ive."

          I smiled and put gauze on his chest, "What happened?"

          "Something attacked me," he said simply.

          "What? Where?" I asked, alarmed.

          "Can't tell you," he said and closed his eyes.

          When I removed the gauze from his chest, I saw a peculiar oval bruise forming. My fingers traced it and he winced. I moved his hand from his temple and saw an identical bruise forming. My right hand held his jaw and my left hand traced the bruise. His breath was on my arms and I didn't realize his right knee was between my legs as I stood closely to him.

          "Let me treat it," I insisted.

          "Alright," he said with his eyes still closed.

          I soaked some cotton pads with ointment and I stuck half of some zip stick bandages on my arm. I held some gauze between my lips. He finally looked at me and he brushed my hair from my face. I blushed when we made eye contact but he didn't look away this time. I tapped my temple and pointed to him so that he knew I was going to treat there first. He nodded to me and I used my fingers to count down before I put on the ointment. Gently, I dabbed it and he grunted. I wiped the blood with the gauze and put it back between my lips when the bleeding stopped. His hands ended up on my waist at one point but I don't think either of us noticed. I pulled half of the zip stitch off my arm and stuck both sides on the outer skin of his gash. I pulled the zips until the halves met and closed the gash shut.

          I leaned down to look at the gash on his chest. Our foreheads touched but neither of us pulled away. Using the gauze, I wiped the blood again and dabbed on the last of the ointment. I needed to use two zip stitches to close the wound but I was able to fully treat Charlie. Unknown to us, Bill was watching the whole time when he came in quietly. I kissed Charlie's forehead softly, making him blush, and started to put away the first aid kit. My hands had some blood on them, but I didn't mind. Bill closed the front door loudly as if he just came in.

          "Ivy! What a surprise!" he said.

          "Hello, Bill!" I looked up and greeted.

          He leaned into my face and went to stand by Charlie, "You've been busy. You've got blood on your lips and hands by the way."

          I turned to face both of them and I licked my lips, "Do I?"

          He looked at a shirtless Charlie, who was staring intensely at me, "What happened to you? You're bruised and shirtless."

          Charlie looked at Bill and turned red, "Nothing."

          I threw Charlie's green thick denim jacket and winked at him. His body looked great and he was mostly muscular in his arms. From his pocket, he pulled out my braid that was cut off in the first task. He looked embarrassed but he gave it to me.

          "You use old magic," he stated.

          I took my long cut hair, "I do."

          "Wand," he requested.

          I gave him my wand and he examined it. After some time, he put on his jacket with Bill's assistance and took my hand as we went outside. It was chilly and the wind was harsh against my face. We walked together to the rocky shore. He gave me my wand and told me to stand in the Black Lake.

          "Are you mad? It's winter!" I protested.

          He nearly took my boots off for me, "Trust me. Call Lilyth."

          She was intrigued and I huffed, "Oh, yeah, never mind me."

          Charlie and Lilyth chuckled as I whimpered into the cold water. I stayed in the water where it was halfway up my calves and I felt the magic already pulsing through me. Charlie called me back and I stepped onto the smooth rocky shore. He took my right hand and lifted it so my arm was extended. Then, he laid my braid and my wand on the ground in front of me.

          "After you summon Lilyth, sing and walk backwards to the water," he ordered.

          I nodded and my hair now started to flow around me, "Nake, snake. Cobra, cobra. Nake, snake. Cobra, cobra. Aitrosnepres."

          Lilyth emerged from the collar of my sweater and she coiled herself around my torso. Her head rested on top of mine. My hair floated from my body and orbs of green light began to glisten around us. Charlie looked entranced and I began to sing.

          "Iruna Etelero, Iruna Etelero, Nadia, Ezelevoteh, Lezelkoh, Mikemesta," I sang.

          My wand began to float with the braid now coming undone.

          "Iruna Etelero, Iruna Etelero, Satoa, Aimeltewa, Lezelkoh, Mikemesta," I continued and started to walk backwards into the water.

          It wasn't cold anymore but I didn't realize I was walking on it now.

          "Ahmeruh, Mikelmoh, Toimessez, Mikelmoh, Masseri, Imekuwozeh, Towonnah, Mizaimesta," I sang louder and my hair began to circle around my wand.

          Fiery red balls of magic and light started to orbit around myself and my wand.

          "Kessellah, Kessellah, Kessellah, Sehtoru, Ahmelva, Etelerovoh, Mitetevah, Mariah, Ezelevotech, Lezelkoh, Mikemesta," I sang.

          My hair bonded with my wand, which turned it into a pitch black color, and I didn't realize I was floating over the water now, with streams of water orbiting around me like a ring. As I floated down to the water, I walked on the surface to the shore towards my black wand in the air. I could feel the cool rocks trembling under me, the air caressing my hair and body, a fire in my chest, and water pulsing around me like the blood in my veins. When I grabbed my wand, my hair fell against my body as the water fell and splashed onto the rocks which became still and silent. Lilyth removed herself from my body as the air abandoned me in the cold and the fire extinguished in my chest. All I remember after that were the cold rocks beneath my feet and Charlie running to me.