CHAPTER EIGHT

THE BRIDGE SNAPPED into pieces, hanging on by a thread. As if they were just wood, so fragile and easily breakable. Ada slipped, threatening to fall into the abyss below them. Leon quickly caught her hand, barely catching her.

The G-virus sample fell along with the rubble, forever being lost. Seraphina could do nothing—helplessly separated. Instead she tried hard to blink her tears away...the whole building was coming down. Not wanting to waste time, she left the scene and went to find the stair way.

"Hold on...I think I can..."

The weight shifted underneath Leon and they nearly slipped further in.

"Forget it," Ada shook her head. She rarely looked vulnerable.

"Shut up! I got you!"

Leon became more upset as precious seconds passed, evident by his frown and weakening tone.

"It's not worth it."

"Don't do this..." Leon felt Ada loosen her grip on purpose. Her last selfless act, then let go as she fell into the void being destroyed around them. A falling body looked like it was floating, an angelic, but harrowing sight.

"No!"

...

A blade. That was it.

Sure, she had used the pistol during the fight, but it was barely a shot. More relying on luck. Luck wasn't a good factor when close to a zombie. It didn't matter in the end anyway, when she was infected herself.

If what Ada said was true, then...

Not now. Not when I haven't figured it out yet.

My body hasn't turned. Don't give up.

Going through the other way to get to the stairs was quite literally a pain, as going through the greenhouse just to get underground was dangerous. Every part of her journey so far was accompanied by Leon, who made it look so much easier to avoid death and had weapons on hand.

What made it worse was the extreme darkness underneath the greenhouse, everything became tinted with a slightly green light. Nobody bothered to input backup generators, apparently...Running around like a blind man didn't help.

Zombies wailed and gurgled sickening noises, accompanied by the ear piercing sound of a Licker. Crawling on the walls like a massive humanoid-spider, it hissed at Seraphina as she shrieked. Running helplessly away only made her slip as it's long, fleshy pink tongue made her trip.

"Fuck," Seraphina got back up on her feet, despite the pain. Thick, grimy saliva coated her skin and she had never felt more disgusted. Burning her clothes and scrubbing her skin was at most she would feel clean again. "Get away from me, you gross monster!"

The door was so close by.

I didn't want to live when dad left.

A zombie blocked the way.

I was planning to die.

Seraphina barely avoided it's bloodthirsty reach.

Now I have to live. Or else—

She stopped running as the ground shook underneath. Her ankle was burning in pain, each step becoming more excruciating with the next. The sound of the announcer's female voice went off, telling that there was nine minutes until detonation. Until this whole place blew to bits.

Eventually finding a pathway to get to the elevator that would reach the train station, a long, moaning sound of someone's elongated breathing stopped her in her tracks. The breathing sounded so creepy, sending chills to anyone who heard it.