Chapter 3

I ran behind the man, grabbing hold of his neck and putting him into a chock hold. " PUT THE GUN DOWN!!" I told the man. He dropped the gun, looking at me. His eyes stared into mine, bringing a tingling sensation to my body. What is wrong with me? I thought, grabbing the gun from the man. Mr. Fitzgerald looked back at us and said, " Miss. Amador, please check on Braxton for any injury. " I nodded, leading Braxton to my office. I had him sit on the hard bed I was provided with, getting my stethoscope and my box of tools they had provided. I examined Braxton, feeling his built body structure against my touch. " What is your name?" He asked me.

" Aella Amador and you are Braxton.."

" Fisher. Are you new 'cause I have never seen you?"

" Yep, I just got the job yesterday but started today. Does anything hurt Mr. Fisher?"

" Call me Brax, but my arm is sore, not today, but it has always bothered me." I looked at his arm to see veins popping out of his skin, not literally, but you could see his veins. I gently touched them, seeing what his reaction was. He was tensing up. I looked at him and started thinking of what could be wrong, Phlebitis, maybe. I began to examine how his arm felt. It was Deep Vein Thrombosis or, in other words, DVT. I began to google side effects or severe conditions in DVT if it gets worse, saying that they might have chest pain or even collapsing. I barely knew this rat, but I felt sympathy for him, feeling pity for him. I called the front office to say that Braxton was to stay with me for the night, getting an awkward okay back. I had some blankets brought over to my room, so I could have Braxton sleep well on the clinic bed. Braxton walked up to the person, saying thank- wait, he said thank you. I looked at him, surprised, and he just shrugged it off like nothing. He laid the blankets on the floor, making his bed, sitting on top of it." Braxton, You can sleep on the patient bed," I asked, confused

" Where will you sleep then," He asked, worried

" I can sleep in my chair, or I was thinking of the..."

" No, You need your rest, and I need to be here. You will sleep on the patient bed."

" No, You have to get your rest, and it will help your body."

" Fine, but it's not my fault if you have a sore neck tomorrow morning."

" Well, night Braxton."

" GOOD-night, Aella. What do you say back?"

" Goodnight," I said quietly

" Good. Goodnight." Brax said, going under his blankets. I got the stitched blanket that I had packed, wrapped it around me, sitting in the chair. I quickly forgot that I hadn't locked the door, doing so before I tried sleeping. I walked back to the chair, closed my eyes, falling asleep slowly.

I woke up in the middle of the night, checking my clock to see it was 12. I only fell asleep for a few hours. I looked to my right to see Braxton staring at me, smiling.

" Can't go back to sleep?" he asked

" Haven't tried, just woke up. GOOD- night," I said, shutting my eyes. I tried for a few minutes, opening my eyes and scrolling through Pinterest.

" So it looks like you are asleep. Just sleep with me. I can't sleep cause I worry about you, but you can't since you are uncomfortable. Just trust me. I don't bite."

" No, I could get fired." I strictly said

" Suit it yourself." Brax said, shifting more into his bed. I moved into my chair to get comfy, but nothing was working. I even did the breathing exercises my dad taught me from the military.

" Fine, but nothing weird," I stated, climbing into the patient's bed with him. I am sleeping with an inmate, I thought to myself. I faced toward where I used to sleep, closing my eyes for a little, reopening and shifting to meet his eyes. I look at them, snuggling into his chest, falling asleep.

I woke up to my alarm which was set for 5:30. I looked to my left to see Braxton with his arms wrapped around me tightly, eyes closed. I turned off my alarm and looked at him. Should I wake him up? I decided I should, rubbing his head with the tip of my fingers and pressing the wrinkles away.

" Morning," I said calmly

" GOOD- Morning, Aella."

" What is up with you, good. I mean, you weren't good if you got here."

" I am only here for a few days, you know. Also, you deserve good. Even though I am a shit to everyone, I deserve good, but some bad."

" Oh, if you don't mind, what got you here?"

" Well, my father is Mr. Fitzgerald, well, stepdad, and I pissed my mom off, so he put me here to show how messing with people can get people here. You might ask why I am here if I am an adult and that I can make my own decisions; well, my stepdad told the court I had " raped" his wife. It was a peculiar and awkward position I was in, so my stepdad said I would only be in here for a while. So here I am."

" That is messed up," I said

" Yeah, but I should have left my mom or forgotten about her. This always happens, where my stepdad makes up stupid lies to get me in trouble."

"How old are you?"

" I am 25. You?"

" 24, almost 25, my father was a doctor, so medical school and college were easy."

" Wow"

" Yeah" We took a second, staring into the eyes of each other. It was awkward. I broke eye contact and silence, getting some blood-thinning pills labeled d.v.t on the container. This must happen a lot, I thought. I gave him some water and medicines, having him lie back down after. As he slept, I typed up an email to Autumn about my time here.