Hexside

No One's POV

It's early in the morning and the sun has yet to rise. And yet, a young woman tosses and turns in her sleep. Disturbed, gripping her blankets with her hand as if anxious.

(Angst warning)

Madelene's POV

Madelene: .... Where... am I?

My surroundings are dark, there's nothing of note, then suddenly the same voice from the illusion Adegast used on us called out.

Voice1: Madelene?

Madelene: ...M-mom? I-Is.... is that you?

I looked around but I couldn't locate where her voice is coming from. It's as if the inky blackness were close and far at the same time.

Voice2: Madelene?

I gasps, goosebumps littered my neck as I looked behind me only to see the same darkness. I could swear they were talking next to my ear.

Madelene: D-Dad? Mom, Dad I'm back!

Mom: Why are you back?

Madelene: Wh-what?

Dad: Why are you here?

It stung, to hear those words. I close my eyes. I can't see anything anyway. I can feel my lips tremble, but I still spoke my defiance. Maybe I misread the atmosphere. Maybe I heard wrong.

Madelene: I-I was lost, i-in the human world. Why, why didn't you look for me?

Mom: Did you really think we lost you by accident?

My heart sank at those words. That thought did not cross my mind. At all.

Madelene: I-I. I d-don't understand.

I really don't.

Dad: Did you think we want a daughter that wanders off when her parents aren't looking?

It's not my fault. I was a child back then!

Madelene: I-I didn't mean to-!

Mom: Silence!

As if a slap went down to burden me, I staggered back on the void, falling and falling, as if the floor I'm standing on simply disappeared. I flailed and flailed, holding my screams. I used my arms to reach out, wanting those voices to assist.

Dad: We have no use of a child that cannot even stay close.

I screamed, sobbing in both phantom and emotional anguish.

Madelene: N-no, please! Please! Help! No- I! A-all my life I tried to-! I tried to look for you! I didn't mean to wander off! Help, please! I'm falling! Mom! Dad!

Mom/Dad: You are no daughter of mine.

I whimpered as I fall. Deep. Deep. Down and under.

Madelene: P-please, I-I'll do anything! Just don't throw me away again!

My eyes shot open as I panted, I sat up and saw that I was back at the Owl House in my sleeping bag. I looked to my left and saw that Luz was still asleep with King at the foot of her sleeping bag, I looked to the window and the sun still hasn't risen yet, I decided to quietly get up and head to the bathroom. I locked the door and closed the window, I looked at the mirror and saw tears stain my cheeks.

Madelene: It was just a dream.

I quickly washed my face to get rid of the marks, I sighed into my palms and looked at myself in the mirror.