Chapter 49: The Battle

chapter 49: the battle •••

You flip your knife in your hand and pause once again to peer out the window. There isn't a soul in sight or a single sound aside from the occasional shuffles of your companions. All is calm—too calm. The calm before the storm.

You're about to flip your knife again when Din's gentle voice stops you. "Hey." You look at your husband, who stands beside you with one foot propped up on a piece of rubble. His gloved hand gestures to your knife. "Be careful."

The corners of your mouth lift into a small smile as you raise your brow at him. "I don't think my knife is gonna be the thing that hurts me today."

Din tilts his helmet. "Nothing's gonna hurt you today."

You shrug and widen your smile at his protectiveness. "I might get a few bruises and scratches. But you're right, no major injuries." You sheathe your knife and cross your arms. "So long as you can say the same for yourself."

Din sighs. "Well..."

"Don't even try to argue with me." You set your hand on his propped-up leg and let your fingers run over the cloth alongside his cuisse that you sewed back together. "It hasn't been that long since you were last hurt." You lower your voice. "Badly."

Din sets a hand over yours. "I know." He takes your fingers and holds them in his grasp. "I won't let that happen again." Din's visor never strays from your gaze. "But my armor will protect me from intense lines of fire. I have a responsibility to use it to protect others."

You think back to the moment on Trask when Din ran into the fire of heavy-repeating blasters—and you remember all the bruises he was left with afterwards. Your jaw tightens as you release a deep breath. Din's old words echo in your head: How dare you marry a Mandalorian. "All right. A few bruises and scratches." Your gaze falls to his leg. "But no major injuries."

Din nods at you. He looks out the window again and your gaze follows. The town is still as silent as ever, without so much as a womp-rat making a peep. You sigh and shift your weight as a dark shadow of dread looms over you.

"Cobb and the people of Freetown should've been here by now." You furrow your brow and look at Din. "Where are they?"

Din shrugs. Before he can offer any type of reassurance, Fennec speaks up and catches your attention. "While we wait for those reinforcements, our forces are quietly patrolling the streets of the old city." Fennec continues to pace the small space where she stands. "The Pyke Syndicate has not yet arrived in numbers, but the minute they do, we will see them before they see us." Din glances at Boba and then turns to the window again. "The truce you negotiated with the other families of Mos Espa will ensure that they remain neutral and allow us to gain the upper hand by surprising the arriving soldiers."

"And you're sure they'll stick to that?" All heads turn to you when you make your inquiry. "I'm pretty familiar with political figures like these families. Neutrality is hard to maintain when war's brewing."

Fennec considers your words with a tilt of her head "It's not a guarantee. That's why we have all our flanks covered."

She goes on to break down where everyone is stationed. The Gamorreans are in Klatooinian territory, Krrsantan in Trandoshan, and Drash, Skad, and the rest of the Mods in the Worker's District of the Aqualish Quarter. Din looks over at Boba and you do the same. The Daimyo looks upon his right-hand companion with a cautious eye.

"Nobody is sneaking up on us. When the people of Freetown arrive, we will have the forces required to pivot our strength to whatever region the Pykes choose to attack from."