Chapter 9: The Recovery

chapter 9: the recovery •••

When you wake up the next morning, you look beside you to find that Din's already risen for the day. You can tell he's itching to get off Sorgan now that it's more of a threat to you and the child than you'd previously thought. The thought of his concern makes you smile just a bit.

The fact that you've both finally acknowledged the way you feel about each other has made a weight lift off your shoulders. You're better at adjusting than Din is—you can tell it's been a long time since he's had any meaningful moments or feelings of affection. You do manage to remember, though, in a hazy memory, that he'd let you drift off to sleep with your head resting against his chest last night. He'd taken off the beskar already by then and had encouraged you to try to get some sleep despite the various ways in which your head was spinning.

The thought of him and the child makes you rise, an action that you slightly regret when you feel a dull ache in the back of your thigh. You grit your teeth to try to hold back an exclamation of pain, but you've already been spotted.

"Hey, take it easy," Din's modulated voice sounds from behind you in a stressful tone. As soon as you turn your head to look at him, you feel his arms supporting you, taking much of your own weight. "Is it hurting badly today?"

"No," you assure him, trying to take some of your weight back. "I just... kinda forgot it was there."

"You have to be careful," Din reminds you.

You let out a soft chuckle at his fierce protectiveness. "I know, I know." When silence falls, you take a moment to observe the hut around you. Everything's been moved out aside from the cots you've both been sleeping on, and you grimace a bit at its emptiness. The place had become a makeshift home in the past few weeks, and you feel sad to be leaving it behind—but then your real home speaks again, shifting your attention away from your surroundings.

"Are you ready to leave?" Din's voice is still softer than you're used to hearing. "I'd like to go right away."

You nod, swallowing hard as you let him assist you out of the hut. When you emerge, you're met with the gathered crowd of villagers, their eyes watching the two of you sadly as you make your way over to the packed wagon. The child is standing on it already, looking at its friends with fallen ears. You feel your heart sting, as you know it only does that gesture whenever it's sad.

Din walks you all the way to the wagon, helping you inside of it before turning back to the villagers. He gives a nod specifically to Omera, who's taken care of you both. Cara then walks up to Din, her own belongings hiked up on her shoulder.

"I'd offer to accompany you, but I think your little family will be just fine," she says warmly, smiling just a bit at her friend. Your face heats up at her use of the word family, and your heart warms up even more than that.

"Thank you," Din says with a nod. "You can join us whenever."

"Well, I'd better keep laying low for now. You know where to find me if you need me."

Din nods once again, and the two shake hands in a friendly manner. Cara then walks over to where you're sitting, giving you the same gesture. She then walks off, leaving Din to hop up with you onto the wagon. You all bid goodbye to the villagers one last time, feeling the wagon pull in a new direction and watching as the people begin to appear farther and farther away from you.

A sigh falls from your lips once they're completely out of sight, and you close your eyes as you lean back against a pile of belongings. The dull ache of your leg has diminished in your current position, and you try to focus on something other than the pain you feel at having to go traveling aimlessly through the galaxy once again.