Chapter 3: The Hunter

chapter 3: the hunter •••

Your eyes open to darkness, causing you to blink a few times in order to adjust. The light blanket provided to you still covers your body. You're surprisingly comfortable laying on the small cot, though the upcoming adventures make any further rest impossible as you hop up onto your feet without a second thought. After making your setup neat again, you press a few buttons to get the door open and succeed after three attempts. You see Din as soon as it opens, his head turning away from the resources he's been looking through and towards you.

"Hi," you greet, earning only a small nod in return. He turns back to the resources as you almost awkwardly stand in place, waiting for him to say something—anything. Yet, he remains silent, so you speak up again. "What's the plan?"

Din takes the time to close up any of the boxes he's opened, waiting until he's done to face you. "Resources," his modulated voice finally says. "The town's not too far, so we can be quick and get to a more remote planet after."

You give him a nod, not daring to ask what planet you're on. You're not familiar with the planets out here, anyway; you didn't grow up out here. You only came here to escape. "Sounds good."

Din then turns towards his weaponry, beginning to equip himself for the trek. You stand and wait for him, watching as he grabs a blaster and hoists his pulse rifle over his shoulder. Your mind suddenly goes to the child and you wonder where he's gone. Before you can ask, Din questions you.

"Do you want one of these?" His modulated voice is business-like yet also curious. You sense that he wants to know what other weapons you can work with.

"I think I'm good this time around," you assure him. You want to keep things simple.  "Hopefully we don't run into any trouble here. Thanks, though."

Din nods, closing the doors upon hearing your answer. He then turns to a closed door just beside it, opening it with his control pad. That's when you finally see the child, his green ears perking up at the sight of Din standing there. He coos extra loud when he spots you, too. As Din picks him up, you smile at him, giggling as you hear him laugh happily at you. Din looks between the two of you, seeming amused at your easy chemistry.

"I can carry him, if you want," you suggest. "Just in case something does happen and you need to use your rifle. I can handle the blaster in one hand."

Din seems to hesitate for a second but soon steps forward to hand the child to you. He looks up at you with his bright eyes, showing you his tiny teeth in an awkward smile. You return it and run a hand over his furry head. When you look back up at Din, you see that he's still looking in your direction, but his helmet quickly turns to the hatch upon you noticing. He opens it, leading the way off the ship.

Your walk begins in silence and you know you won't be able to handle it for that long. You're aching to know more about the mysterious man hidden behind the armor and what could've possibly motivated him to do something as dramatic as breaking the code of the Guild. Still, you're not foolish enough to believe that you'll get that information right away, so you try to start with some small talk just to fill the air.

"What's the name of the ship?" you begin, looking over at Din as you walk.

"The Razor Crest," he answers simply. You're about to respond, but you stop when you realize he's about to say more. "I'm surprised you didn't know that. Most people do."

You shrug. "I'm not as knowledgeable about ships as I am everything else, I guess."

Din looks over at you. "Can you fly?"

"I've done it before," you assure him, your eyes meeting his visor as you hope you're relatively close to making eye contact. "I'm not sure I'm actually good at it, but I can do it."