chapter 21

Emily happily sat on her bed, she had a shell container that opened up and showed a childhood picture of her with Athena when they were younger and always had fun spending time together. Whenever she would open up, it would play the song Athena sang for her daughters before bedtime. Emily smiled, but still had joyful tears in her eyes. "I miss you, Athena..." she whispered, wishing there was someway to see her sister AGAIN.

The spirit of Athena then came out, but this time, it wasn't because she was going BACK in Atlantica, but because this truly was the spirit of her beloved sister.

Emily wasn't sure if she was seeing things or not, but giggled sadly. "Hello, Athena..." she attempted to say, even if she was sure this image could not ANSWER back.

"Hello, Emily." Athena's spirit answered back.

Emily blinked, did that really happen, she sat up in her bed, slightly alarmed. "A-Athena...?"

"Yes, Emily, it's me." Athena's spirit said.

Emily smiled even more sadly. "Oh, my gosh... I... I... I just miss you so much... I'm happy with Patrick and our kids... But I miss you... You're my sister... My BEST FRIEND..."

"I know and I shall always be with you and can visit you whenever I want and whenever you want." Athena's spirit said.

Emily blinked and smiled. "Do you know how to materialize yourself?" she asked. "Y-You know... Become like flesh and bones...?" she asked, she had wanted to hug Athena after all these years without her.

"Yes and I do." Athena's spirit said, before touching her necklace around her own neck and where she became flesh and bone, not aging.

Emily sniffled as she hugged Athena for the first time since the death. Athena also had on a glittering aqua-colored dress with light purple leggings and black slip-on shoes. That must have been how she would look if she were a human. Emily parted the hug, wiping one of her eyes before a tear would come out.

"We all miss you," Emily sniffled. "I wish you could come back somehow."

"As long I have this necklace around my neck, I am back." Athena said.

"Really?" Emily sounded delighted. "H-Have you thought of maybe... I dunno... Living like a human?"

"Yes, but also as a mermaid, so why not live like both living here in the human world and then GO BACK into the ocean whenever I can." Athena said.

Emily smiled. 

Darla walked by her adoptive mother's room, she just heard that a teacher everyone liked in her school wouldn't be able to teach her in the year she would come back for classes in the fall and they were looking for replacements. She pouted with a sigh, she was looking forward to moving up a GRADE since she was supposed to have that teacher.

Emily could somehow sense this in her foster daughter, then looked to Athena. "Can I ask you a favor? How would you like to teach human children five days a week?"

"I would say or ask when do I start?" Athena asked.

"In the Fall," Emily answered with a smile. "I-If it's not too much trouble... You don't have to if you don't want to, I'd never make you do something you didn't want to do, Thena."

"It's no trouble at all, I would love to do it." Athena said.

Emily smiled. "Be sure to visit us whenever you can... I also think you should visit YOUR family when you can too. Triton hadn't been the same since you... Well... You know... He even banned music for 10 years."

"I know, I saw everything." Athena said.

"It was hard... But we made it..." Emily said softly. "You saw us... Travel back in time? I just wanted to see you, I missed you so much when Patrick decided we should go to the beach like a normal family."

"And I think that was a great decision to make." Athena sad.

Emily wiped her eyes. "It was great to see you AGAIN... You were a wonderful mother."

"And it was great to see you again." Athena said.

"I'm so SORRY I wasn't there the first time..." Emily nearly cried again.

"It's okay, what matters is that you were there the second time." Athena said soothingly to her sister.

Emily sniffled with a smile. "Yeah,... I'm so sorry, Athena..." 

THE CLOUDS parted with a light shining through as though it were a sign to take Athena back into the afterlife for now.

"It looks like I have to go for now." Athena said as she saw the sign.

"Oh... Okay..." Emily said softly. "See you around then?"

"See you around." Athena said as she went back to the afterlife.

Emily smiled sadly as she allowed her deceased sister to GO BACK where she belonged.

Jessica knocked on the door. "Mom, you okay?"

"I'm alright, dear." Emily ANSWERED, sounding a little better than she did before.

"Did you get anything from Atlantica?" Atticus asked her.

Emily nodded, she showed her children the shell trinket she was given.

Darla looked to the picture. "Is that you and Aunt Athena?"

"Yes, that's back in Mermaid Lagoon," Emily smiled with a small sigh. "Before we both decided to grow up, I of course decided to go on land while Athena wanted to stay under the sea."

Atticus could see that their mother was calmer then she was before.

"YOUR father was given a shark tooth necklace," Emily smiled. "Kind of like Adella's boyfriend, Stevie."

Jessica smiled, now she thought of Christopher and wondered if she would see him ever again.

Cherry was heard outside the Fudo house, everyone looked out the WINDOW to see her with an older boy no one really knew, she then looked up to them. "Hey, you guys got new neighbors!" she called up to them.

"Cool, we'll be right down!" Atticus called down to her.

"New neighbor." Darla smiled.

Emily smiled to her children. "Go ahead, maybe we could have them over for supper."

"Yeah." Atticus said.

The children all went down stairs to meet one of the MEMBERS of their new neighbors.