-3-

The next day, the twins and their father were sorting through Abe's things at his house. Both the twins froze when Jake picked up a photo of them and Abe from a few years ago.

"You found something good?" their father walked over to stand inbetween them "Oh, look at that. That's awesome. You should take that, we'll get it copied. Come on kids let's roll"

Y/n shook her head at her brother knowing he was going to say something to their dad. But of course he didn't listen to her.

"How are you so okay?"

"Jakey, Y/n, you two were a lot closer to him than I ever was" he walked towards them with a sad smile "He was a wonderful grandpa but not...not such a great dad, you know?" He chuckled to himself as he moved to take a seat "Never seemed to pick a job that didn't involve late nights or long trips away, though. Me and Aunt Susie always kind of thought he was, maybe cheating on our mum. I'm sorry kids. I know how much you worshipped him but there it is"

Y/n sighed to herself as she climbed into the backseat of the car and put her seatbelt.

They drove for a little while until they arrived home.

But the moment they opened the front door, they were shouted at.

"Surprise!!"

Two twins stepped forward with wide smiles "Happy Birthday cousin Jake! Happy Birthday cousin Y/n!"

The smaller twins's parents stepped forward with smiles "J-dog, Y/n, it's great you're coming to spend the summer with us" the woman leaned closer to Y/n with a cheeky smile "Wait until you see the new boat"

Y/n nodded at them and mumbled a fake "Can't wait"

The two walked straight through the house and into Jake's room, the boy shut and locked the door behind them and they both at on his bed.

"Y/n-" jake was trying to talk to her when he was cut off by a knock at the door.

The person opened the door "It's Aunt Susie" she walked right in and sat herself between the two "Thought you two might wanna open this one. It's a joint one from your grandpa" Y/n and Jake locked eyes but turned back to look at their Aunt.

"Found it while I was packing up. I figured he meant to give it to you two someday"

The two nodded as they stared down at the present wrapped in brown paper. The both mumbled a quick "Thanks" and watched as their Aunt left the room, closing the door behind them.

"Well don't just sit there Jake, open it before someone else walks in"

He listened to his sister and gently ripped the paper away to find a book : The Complete Essays And Other Writings Of Ralph Waldo Emmerson.

Y/n watched as Jake opened the book to see a handwritten note from their grandpa.

Abe : To jake, Y/n and the worlds they have yet to discover.
From Grandpa xx

The boy flipped over the page to see a postcard, Y/n gently grabbed it and flipped it over. On one side there was a beutiful picture of Cairnholm and on the other side there was writing.

Miss Peregrine: My dearest Abe...I hope this card finds you well. The children and I yearn to hear your news. I do hope you will visit us again soon. We should love to see you. With admiration, Alma Peregrine.

...

A couple of days later, Y/n, Jake and their parents all sat in the therapy office.

The therapist looked over the postcard with a smile "Hmm. Only two years ago. I suppose it's possible she could still be alive"