Chapter 22

"Ummm...this." Clara stopped at a fork in the pathways. She was looking down at the phone and following the moving dots on the phone. "They are headed towards 29 and 10th. So we goooo....left." She took off and started to walk down the dark path, Bucky and Walker following them. As they walked down the tunnel, the mustiness filled her nose. She scrunched her nose up a few times because she breathed in some dust.

"How much farther?" Walker shouted, and Clara shushed him.

"Can't you hear how far your voice echoes down the tunnel? They could hear us coming, and then our little surprise intercept wouldn't be a surprise. This way." Clara took a sharp right, and she heard Bucky and Walker's boots squeak against the wet floor.

"Are you alright, Clara? You are still limping. I don't think that shirt is doing much for you anymore." Clara could feel the warmth from the wound creep up her side, but she shook it off.

"Yeah....yeah I'm fine." She could feel the shirt heavy against her as she walked, like she had a wet rag tied around her waist. I can complain later. We have super soldiers to catch.

"Turn left. We are less than two blocks away." She could feel the incline underneath their feet, and the very faint sound of car horns and sirens could be heard above. She could also feel her breath get a little shallow. No.

"These guys are gonna be put away for a long time." Walker said. She wasn't sure if he was speaking to them or to the self. "After what they've done, they sure deserve." Clara rolled her eyes.

"It's not like you've been Mr. Perfect either."

"What did you say?" Walker put his hand on her shoulder.

"You heard what I said. Remember what happened in Latvia?" Even in the dark, Clara could see that glare in his eye. She could hear his heart pound because it was so quiet.

"He killed Lamar!" He was defense.

"People kill people. It's the world we live in! But what really makes it wrong is when a huge symbol, people everywhere look up to, completely dishonor it. My mom killed my dad indirectly. Bucky killed my dad directly. Countless other people have been killed, but I don't go shoving shields into their chest. Because I have morals. You went all crazy that day, and everyone saw it. That shit is pretty messed up! You're lucky that lawyers and all that shit didn't get involved. You are lucky that you aren't the one rotting in a prison cell for murder. So you can say 'he killed Lamar' as many times as you want, but you and I both know that killing that guy did nothing. Do you think that is what Lamar wanted?"

"You don't get to tell me what my best friend wanted." Walker squeezed his fists so hard, she could hear one of his knuckles crack.

"You don't want me telling you what Lamar wanted because you know that I am right. He wouldn't want you killing people. He would want you to be the better person, the person that he for some reason saw in you that caused him to stay by your side for so long." She was basically a few inches away from him now. "When you killed that man, you not only dishonored that shield, which has always rightfully belonged to Sam, but you also dishonored everything your best friend stood for. Think about it." Clara stared up at Walker. She could see through the darkness that his jaw was still clenched, but his heart beat was slowing down. Hopefully that knocked something into his tiny head of his.

Clara felt herself get lightheaded. The warmth she felt earlier was now burning up. She lost her balance and she was about to catch herself from falling by holding onto a railing that ran through the tunnels. She squeezed her eyes and she dealt with the pain that shot through her. She could feel Bucky gently wrap his hands around her and carefully set her down on the damp ground.