Chapter 7 - My Rest

***This chapter contains (tasteful) adult content. Just want you to be prepared for that.😉)***

"I feel remorse in taking you away from them," Haldir said, standing with me at the steps outside of the castle. We were biding time before going in. "But I cannot be without you now. I will not."

"Nor would I. When I thought you might leave Helm's Deep for Lorien straightaway I felt my heart would be crushed irrevocably by it," I said.

"No, Meleth. I would not have been separated from you again. I knew it the moment I saw you in the hands of that orc. I would die to save you, if it were my fate, but no other force could drag me from your side again."

"Do not speak of death," I frowned deeply. "Especially your own. We have seen enough."

"Yes." He bent and placed a kiss upon my nose, then my forehead. "Are you ready, my Little Mortal?"

"I am."

"All right, then. Let us speak with your king."

---

Haldir and I had not been pleased to leave the private solitude of the outter walls for the raucous feast the night before. Not after finally declaring ourselves. But surely our absence would be noticed and questioned, and so we stole a kiss or two more, stopping against this column and that doorway, until we might be noticed. Then we walked together back into the great hall and were quickly assimilated by the call of company.

The most we were granted of each other the rest of the long evening was an occasional longing glance.

I swear to you, impropriety aside, I would have invited him to rest with me in my chamber otherwise, though I did not know what his reaction might be. He very much seemed to want me, but the elves were a people of sacred custom. Everything was greatly steeped in ceremony and honor. I wondered if intimate acts were, too.

It was not as if I had experience with such things, myself, past the miller's son when I was a young girl. And that had left me thinking that there must be more to it, as the whole thing was over practically as soon as it had begun.

All that I knew, now, was that I felt more of a burning ache for Haldir than I had ever felt for anyone, and I wanted to be as close to him as possible.

All of these thoughts rushed about in my head as we approached the king, who stood with Eomer, apart from his throne. The two were engaged in conversation about fortifying Helm's Deep once again. When they noticed our approach, they both turned to us.

"Haldir," the king greeted him. "Will you be leaving us with your company?"

Haldir's face became quite serious again. I had almost forgotten what that stern face looked like, having seen so much of its opposite just recently. But Haldir had quickly taken a seat for these events, and the Marchwarden had returned.

"We plan to leave within a day...perhaps two, depending upon..." Haldir stopped and looked at me, and I stepped forward, taking his hand. "Upon Lady Raena's requirements."

"Lady Raena?" Theoden said, questioning.

"Yes," I spoke up. "I...I am..." How would I word this?

"Are you unhappy here?"

"Oh no--"

"I wish to marry her," Haldir said abruptly.

Oh. Oh.