𝟶.𝟼

All throughout the night, the girls fell into a deep slumber, well two of them did at least. Malaya slept for about three hours in total that night. It seemed as though the constant ticking of the clock and the feeling of being watched, not to mention her paranoia getting the best of her made her wake every couple of minutes.

Now the girls sat on the kitchen table ready for school wearing their regular clothing as the Pinay wore one of Tatum's flowy knee-length yellow dresses not having any clothes of her own laying around, wearing the same white vans she'd had on the day before.

Dewey, who was ready in his uniform, stood by the door while he spoke on the phone. Though none could hear the conversation they all knew it was important just by the look on the man's face.

"I think you girls really should stay home today." Mama Riley stated her concerns for the girls, putting another plate of eggs and bacon on the table while doing so.

"Your objection is duly noted," Tatum spoke up, for once in her life she actually wanted to go to school as well as the other two. This was definitely a rare moment to witness, "I'd rather be around a lot of people, Mama Riley." Sidney said, giving the woman a small smile as she played with her fingers that rested on her lap.

"Yeah, I agree school is definitely the safest option-" the woman made her way to the girl with freshly cooked rice in a bowl, one she specifically made for the girl. "Thank you, Mama Riley."

"Of course dear."

The sudden sound of two names being called from the television made everyone stop what they were doing and pay close attention to the screen.

"...who escaped a vicious attack last night was a high school student by the name of Malaya Ocampo and the daughter of Maureen Prescott who was brutally killed last year when convicted murderer Cotton Weary..." the reporter poorly pronouncing the Asian girl's name. The screen changed from the reporter to a clip of Cotton in his prison uniform, the once good looking man now haggard and worn.

"„broke into their home and savagely raped and tortured the deceased. Cotton Weary is currently awaiting appeal for the death sentence handed down after the young Sidney testified against him. She was the key witness in the state's prosecution.."

Sidney sighed coming to the conclusion that this was never going to stop, something was always going to happen and make the news somehow bring her mothers murder into the situation. "It's never gonna stop. Is it?" The feeling of a hand on top of hers made her look slightly up from the table to see her tan friend giving her the most empathetic look she had seen in a while as if to say 'I understand' instead of 'I'm sorry for your loss' which the girl truly dreaded hearing.

Dewey, finally off the phone, made his way towards the girls taking a seat at the stool that was set on the other side of the kitchen table. "Billy was released. His cellular bill was clean. He didn't make those calls." Clearly disappointed that they still haven't caught the killer and him or they could still strike at any moment.

"Somebody called me, Dewey. I'm not making it up."

The police officer and a certain teen made eye contact the officer understanding that whoever had called Malaya the night of Casey's murder was in fact the killer. "I know. We're checking every cellular account in the county. Any calls made to you or Casey Becker are being cross-

referenced. It's gonna take time but we'll find him." Not knowing how to comfort the clearly traumatized teens.

"And my Dad? Any word on him?" Sidney asked hoping she'd get at least one good news this week, only to get the same answer she's had from the moment he'd disappeared 'No.' Hearing this the young teen just gave a little nod a small frown displayed on her face.

Making their way to school was a lot harder than they would've thought as news reporters everywhere once again just as they were when the incident with Maureen Prescott and with Cassie and Steve's case had first been released to the public. "Thank you, mama Riley!'' The two brunette's have called out to the Riley, thanking her for the ride as they made their way out the car.

In an instant the three had been surrounded by news reporters asking more shouting questions directed mostly to the two brunettes; one even had the audacity to ask if they had thought if it was Cotton Weary behind the case.

"How does it feel to almost be brutally murdered?" One asked, shoving a microphone onto the girls faces, shocked they just stared at the reporter mouth slightly agape.

"Best experience of my life. Hope to be able to do it again soon." Malaya spoke with an angry look on her face with a very sarcastic smile. "What do you think Bitch?!" Clearly not in the mood for the reporter's daftness and was getting ready to attack before getting pulled back by sudden arms that wrapped around her midriff.

Stu pulled his girl back far enough to a point she wouldn't be able to reach anyone by arms length, "Alright, I think she's had enough of you guys," directing the statement towards the people with flashing cameras and microphones before turning towards the familiar pair of girls and Deputy. "I'll take her from here."

Lightly dragging her away his arm now around the girl's shoulder as he rubs her arms up and down to create some sort of friction in an attempt to help calm her. "Hey, you okay?" Stopping, going in front of the girl slightly bending down to level their eyes, his filled with nothing but concern. "Yeah, sorry. I just- had a really long night.." her voice starting to quiver as she looked down slowly starting to feel herself break; not knowing what else to do in the situation Stu once again wrapped his arms around his girl this time to comfort her rather than pull her away.

"It'll go away soon..."

𝙰/𝙽: 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚊 𝚜𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝙸 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚙𝚘𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚗'𝚝 𝚙𝚘𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚊 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚎.