Chapter 42: Shortened Punishment

Chapter 42

Mini Chapter

(AUTHOR POV)

The sound of water droplets hitting the cracked stone floors echoed through a dimly lit hallway.

Mold and other fungi grew on the dampened walls.

There were multiple cells on both sides of the hallway, caged in with steel bars.

Most of them were occupied in the company of filthy, starving rogue wolves.

Their ribs were visible, and they were drained of their energy.

Many of them were too weak to even stand...

But in one cell, there sat a wolf who had not yet been starved.

Neither was she contaminated of the dungeon's foul smell, for her arrival was only hours ago.

She hung her head low while she sat on the dirty floor.

Her heartbeat quickened as she heard fast, heavy footsteps coming down the hallway.

She could recognize those footsteps anywhere...

And soon enough, her younger brother stood before her cell, staring at her with a face that showed he was no less than irate.

Her eyes widened and she quickly stood from the ground, dusting off her jeans.

Jungkook:explain yourself.
He said venomously, getting straight to the point.

The woman swallowed a lump in her throat before speaking.

Jennie:It was n-never to hurt her, Jungkook, I promise!
Her voice was shaky as if she was going to cry.

Jungkook:but you did, and you hurt me as well.

Jennie:I know...
She sighed.

Jennie:I also know that she would've resisted if she was sober..

Jungkook:yeah, but why did you perform the ritual in the first place!? There is absolutely no fucking need for it!

His loud yelling caused her to flinch.

Jennie:of course I'm not worried about her fertility itself, I'm perfectly aware that you guys can conceive easily. But you forget that the ritual does not only improve fertility, it improves the entire pregnancy...

Before continuing, she took a moment to hold in her tears.

Jennie:Jungkook.. I'm scared. I keep thinking, what if Y/n doesn't make it? Just like mom... We both know all too well that human Luna's don't tend to survive... I mean, a human Luna is a rare enough occurrence by far, let alone the survival rate... I'm scared, Jungkook!

She cried and held onto the bars in front of her.

Jungkook:don't even say it...
He turned around and held his forehead, squeezing his eyes shut.

Jennie:You can't possibly be saying it's an invalid fear when I know you yourself have been worrying about it too Jungkook, since the moment you fucking met her! I will do almost anything to keep her alive, just as you would. And that's why I felt it was necessary to do the ritual! There was no malicious intent, I care about her so much...

She exhaled deeply and slowly let go of the bars.

Jungkook abruptly turned around to face her again.
Jungkook:oh moon goddess, Jennie, what you did was so blatantly wrong!
He said angrily.

Jennie:indeed it was! I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but at least now you're aware of my intent. If somebody doesn't step in, she will most likely die, Jungkook! You're not stupid, you know she will. I've already witnessed what happened with dad, I can't watch it happen to you. Please understand!

She begged and roughly wiped her tears.

The younger brother remained silent for a brief moment.

Jungkook:I was going to keep you imprisoned here for a long time because of your offense... but.. I see now that the ritual was not to insult our family.

His voice lowered and he temporarily paced back and forth.

Jungkook:You'll stay here until the lunar ceremony. Y/n has suffered, and will continue to because of your actions. She doesn't acknowledge the changes her body will go through... you must face the consequences.

Jennie nodded, her facial expression struck with sadness as she slid down the wall.

Jungkook turned on his feet and walked back out of the dungeon.

End of chapter 42