CHAPTER 29: TAMING A CAT

Port Ice

Bennett watched the docks—watched until Cat, hood pulled low over her head, disappeared into the crowd milling about. Most were Dwargs, but there were enough humans that once she blended into the bunch, he lost sight of her. He exhaled, the heavy sound lost to the icy breeze. It was done, she was gone. So why did he feel...uneasy?

They'd reached Port Ice early that morning. Cat hadn't brought much for traveling, but she'd quickly packed up what she carried, paid him the other half of what she owed, and disembarked. Still staring at the place she'd disappeared, he hefted the bag of coins in his hand, tossing it up, letting it clink back into his palm. The repetitive sound of it couldn't much be heard over the den of noise coming from the harbor and dockyard. She'd refused every bit of advice he'd given, refused to admit that whatever she was up to wouldn't bode well.

It irked him; it shouldn't have.

"Shall I ready the crew to depart, Captain?" Jonah asked, coming up beside him. They both wore heavy parkas lined in fur to fight the cold.

"What? Oh. No, not yet. Let's wait a bit. Perhaps we might set foot on dry land for a day or two."

Perhaps Cat might change her mind, was what he didn't bother voicing.

"What happened to dumping her on the nearest iceberg and sailing away?" Jonah asked, a sardonic smile playing across his lips.

Bennett snorted. "You know the crew wouldn't allow it, even if I tried."

"Aye." Jonah hesitated. "They aren't happy to see her go. Hard to believe she's grown on them."

"And on you," Bennett pointed out, lifting an eyebrow. But Jonah merely lifted an eyebrow in return, daring his captain to admit the same. Her ability to heal the crew, trade banter with lethal precision, and throw a punch—thanks to training from Emmon—had become useful indeed.

"Anyway," Bennett continued, "I'm tempted to see what she's up to. Get Tris. Have him tail her. But he's to keep out of sight."

"As you say," Jonah bobbed his head before moving off to give orders.

He gave the docks a final glance before slipping below deck to count coins and divvy up his crew's pay. They'd all spend it in one place, likely. But it was theirs to spend as they wished.

"Jonah!" he called an hour later, summoning his first mate. Jonah's head popped in. "Tell the crew they can come collect their pay. Draw straws. They're permitted land side once the remainder of duties are seen to."

"Aye. Very good, Captain. They will be pleased."

"Did you already send Tris away?"

"Aye? Shouldn't I have?"

"That's fine. I'll find him later. Very good." He flicked his hand, dismissing Jonah.

A sigh deflated his chest. He rubbed his beard, thinking. What was she up to, that she-cat? Why would she come to a port mostly run by Dwargs? Especially in light of darker rumors? What business could she possibly have here? With who?

So many questions. No answers to any of them. Despite his attempts, both subtle and not so much, she'd refused to appease his curiosity. It ate at him; he wanted to know, needed to know. That damned woman was going to get herself killed, sooner rather than later. Even with magical abilities, even with a strong fist, he didn't trust her to steer clear of trouble.

Perhaps he wouldn't rely entirely on Tris. He was perfectly capable of tailing her. Perfectly capable of getting answers through other means.

One by one, his crew trickled in to sit in his cabin office, to collect their pay. A few asked if Cat would return. They were more pleased than ever by the increase in coin. When the matter was sorted, Jonah gave him the straw he'd pulled in his stead. Short. "The others have already scampered off," Jonah added, sounding apologetic. "If you'd rather, I can trade—"