CHAPTER 37: PREPARING FOR SOLSTICE

Esterpine

Koldis stood with his arms behind him, hands clasped, watching as Feowen introduced Sprite after Sprite to Claire; she sat on her crystal throne. These were potential candidates for her Queen's Guard. After taking oaths of secrecy from each hopeful, she made sure to inform them that she would likely be leaving the forest soon, that—hypothetically—if she chose not to rule in Esterpine, they would be gone from their homes for long periods, assuming they still wished to remain as guards. Most appeared eager by this news.

How tightly, he wondered, had Jade controlled her own people?

Reyr stood on the other side of Claire's throne, looking on. Nearly two weeks prior, they'd taken the time to update her on the reason for his visit, to inform her of King Talon's plans for attacking Fort Squall. She'd listened in silence, her only disagreement showing in the form of a frown that deepened until it was heavy-set.

"I can see that you dislike this as much as Koldis does," Reyr had said when he'd finished.

"It doesn't sit well, and yet, I can think of no better way to reclaim the fort and city while sparing the lives of thousands." She had sighed in defeat. "It feels...like cheating. But, we are at war. And after what Kane did to me..."

Reyr and Koldis had shared a glance when she brought up Kane. Neither had been easy about what Claire went through. And Koldis was certain she'd sugarcoated things to subdue their worry, their guilt that they hadn't been there to protect her. But at last, she had agreed that it might be the easiest way to defeat the dragons.

And when Reyr told her he planned to meet up with King Talon's forces by taking a western path through the forest, she'd squared her shoulders and declared that she would be joining him. At this, both Reyr and Koldis were caught sharing glances. It was almost comical that Reyr had believed he could say anything and expect a different reaction. Of course she'd insist on to Squall's End, to reunite with the king. It should have been no surprise. It was likely King Talon would be furious to see her there. But...she wasn't as vulnerable as she'd been before. Things had changed. She was confident in her magical abilities. They could keep her safe, and so could her Queen's Guard, which was why it was important to select worthy members.

And so, here they were, looking for six additional warriors who might protect her during her remaining time here and beyond. They could not simply be warriors, though. She needed ambassadors. Individuals who would venture beside her into Dragonwall and act as examples to the Sprite race. People who might bridge the gap between the two races during her time on Dragonwall's throne. Sprites who were willing to say goodbye to their home for the duration of her life. It would be a blink compared to theirs, but it was still a prolonged sacrifice.

What was more, her future mating to King Talon would be an alliance. They'd discussed the implication of this over the past several days. As a Sprite queen, she would tie their two races together once more, but instead of doing it as a disgraced exiled queen like Isabella had, she'd be doing it as an honorable monarch. She'd battled the idea the moment Feowen had suggested they present things that way because it meant she could not yet abdicate the throne.

With Taylynn's helpful tricks, Claire's Queen's Guard could be away for long periods, so long as they carried some of the forest's essence with them. They would be given necklaces just like Claire's forest tear. Something to sustain them whilst away. Speaking of Taylynn...

Koldis frowned at the mere thought of her.

She hadn't been seen since the day she'd come looking for Claire and Jade before racing off. Claire had assured him that Taylynn was fine, that she'd been the reason Claire had survived Kane's clutches. That they'd gone on a secret mission—one Claire refused to tell him of—and would return when the princess felt the need. He hoped Claire wouldn't drag them away to Fort Squall before Taylynn returned. The thought of leaving before saying goodbye left him feeling rebellious. And in turn, ridiculous. What was he going to do, tell Claire and Reyr to go on ahead while he waited for the possibility of seeing his mate perhaps one last time?