Secrets and Lies

Black Phantom:

Chapter 13:

The head of the Sakurazukamori took advantage of Mai's momentary lapse in concentration and pulled her in closer to grip her neck. A cold blade was pressed to her throat.

"Sounds like whoever it is getting close," Setsuka whispered to Mai.

An irate monk came running around the corner. "Get your hands off her, old lady!"

"Let her go, you super old lady!" an out of breath priestess added as she followed after the monk.

"Good afternoon, Inspector Shibuya, Officer Matsuzaki," Setsuka greeted calmly as if she was serving them tea and not holding a knife to their unofficial niece's throat.

"What do you want from Mai?" Bou-san demanded.

"I don't want anything from her; I was about to get rid of her. The Sakurazukamori haven't stayed secret by leaving behind witnesses," Setsuka answered and pressed the knife a little closer to draw blood. "That goes for you two as well. Trying to get hold of Kuro Kaitou has been quite costly in terms of lives."

"What do you want with him?" Ayako asked.

"I don't want him, I want his PK, but he has proved to be quite entertaining..." Setsuka smiled. "I never thought he would try to track me down in the guise of phantom thief."

Ayako pushed past her boyfriend, following the plan developed by Kuro Kaitou himself.

"Would you let Mai go if we gave you Kuro Kaitou?"

Her boyfriend shot her a practised glare and her niece simply looked shocked.

Setsuka tilted her head to one side. "That seems fair. Do you have him?"

The sound of footsteps became discernible and a certain black clothed Police officer walked around the corner of the hallway.

"Let her go, I will take her place."

Mai gasped at the sight of the head of the Kuro Kaitou task force offering himself up for her. Did that mean he was Kuro Kaitou? It couldn't be... She reconsidered her statement. He had to be. There was no other explanation.

It explained why Kuro Kaitou's mouth tasted like Earl Grey, why he sometimes reminded her of Kazuya Shibuya, why he never seemed to do any police work and why he disappeared at heists.

The only question left was, why was he involved with the Sakurazukamori?

"Naru..." she murmured.

She glanced up to see her kidnapper smirking.

"So you do know each other after all. Now that everything is out in the open, who exorcised my Inugami curse?"

"We did. What was the purpose of it?" Bou-san enquired. "It wouldn't have been to your benefit to curse him."

"It was a test. I was expecting it to be detected and removed at some point and it provided a way to gauge of any members of the task force were involved with Kuro Kaitou," Setsuka informed them. "As it turns out, you all are."

"Let Mai go," Naru ordered her, returning everyone to the original subject. "I will go with you if you guarantee her life and everyone else's."

"Of course," she paused dramatically. "What about Eugene? We do have him..."

Gene.

That was the while reason that he had come to Japan. Recently he had been too involved with worrying about a certain brunette female and interacting with new people, that he had begun to lose touch with the very reason that he had become Kuro Kaitou. Gene didn't seem to be a concern anymore, he paled in comparison to Mai was currently trapped in the embrace of an assassin.