Epilogue

Chapter 16: Epilogue

"Your mother is very... enthusiastic," Mai said the moment she and her fiancé returned to their shared apartment after a visit to his parents.

Naru groaned and deposited the cardboard box that his mother had given Mai on the floor and opened it to find that it was full of books.

"She nearly passed out in happiness when I told her that I had someone I liked and she wanted to fly you to England so we could have a wedding there and then, so consider yourself lucky," he warned as he picked out a book at random which turned out to be a brightly coloured bento book.

He handed it to Mai who flipped through it happily and found a bookmark halfway through the book.

"There's a section on how to make bentos for your husband..." Mai smiled and flipped it around to show Naru.

"Mum has really gone all out. Mai, if you ever make any of those I will dock your pay," he threatened.

He wasn't the type of husband that found heart shaped onigiri endearing, what had his mother been thinking?

"If you dock my pay, I will not make you a single cup of tea," Mai retorted confidently, she knew that the threat of no tea always worked on her fiancé.

"Just keep it low key," Naru said reluctantly and carried the box to the living room so he could sit comfortably and watch Mai go through the books.

"Ah!" Mai squealed as she picked another one out.

"What is it?" Naru asked amusedly. Knowing his mother it could be anything...

Immediately Mai hid it behind her back and grabbed another book at random.

"Mai..." the scientists said and leant down to grab it and found that it was a book on how to care for babies. He glanced down at the book that was currently in Mai's hand and noted that it was similarly titled. "She is serious about the grandchildren."

"Very serious."

"Lin is finding the situation very amusing," Naru changed the subject to distract Mai who got very jumpy when the subject of grandchildren was brought up. "He will regret it when he finds out that I know that he has a girlfriend."

This captured Mai's attention and she moved to sit down on the sofa next to him.

"Lin-san has a girlfriend? Why is he trying to keep it a secret?"

"Because she was my mentor."

Mai blinked in surprise, the subject of grandchildren completely forgotten.

"Really?"

"You should meet her at your bridal party; Madoka and my mother are friends," Naru explained. "Now that I have told you that, can you tell me what Bou-san and Yasuhara-san are planning for me?"

"For your stag party?" They aren't taking you anyway dodgy," Mai smirked. "Apparently Yasuhara wanted to test your faithfulness by taking you to a gay bar, but Bou-san and Lin-san didn't fall for it."

Seeing her fiancé's puzzled look, she expanded. "Yasuhara was going to use you to attract men- I don't like to give you a swelled head, but you aren't too bad looking."

Naru rolled his eyes, Yasuhara was incorrigible. "So, you think I'm handsome?" he returned to a more familiar tack and leaned closer to his future wife.

Having become accustomed to situations like this Mai knew better than to blush like a tomato and squirm away. She caught him by the chin and poked him in the cheek.