Truth

Black Phantom:

Chapter 14:

The latent psychic peered around Naru cautiously to see what had shocked him so badly. Seeing a doppelganger of her superior officer lying against a cherry blossom tree with his eyes closed was the last thing that she had been expecting. However she was not too surprised to see the chain smoking Sakurazukamori who broke into a smile at the sight of them.

"Hello, Mai-chan, Kuro Kaitou," he greeted cheerfully. "So, have you come for your brother or to destroy me?"

"How about both?" Naru suggested pleasantly. "We have your mother in custody."

Seishirou shrugged his shoulders and took a puff off his cigarette. "I'm her successor regardless of when she dies. It simply happened sooner than expected."

"I take it that you won't mind when I make sure that your family line ends with you, then," the scientist retorted.

The assassin simply leant down and grabbed the chin of the person who was lying slumped against the cherry blossom tree with a very pale face.

"Are you planning on blowing me and this tree to pieces with your PK?" Seishirou enquired. "Unfortunately you would end up killing Eugene in the process."

To illustrate his point he stroked Gene's cheek and smirked at Naru.

Naru was silenced momentarily by the realisation that there really was not a way out of the situation whilst his brother was under the tree. Naturally he could give himself up to be fed to the tree, but there was no guarantee that the Sakurazukamori would leave Mai and Gene alone.

A pinch to his arm pulled him out from his internal monologue and he glanced down to see Mai staring worriedly at him.

"I don't know what's going on, Naru, but do your best to get us out of it," she hissed at him. "You've got an annoyingly large brain; use it."

He stared at her in surprise before nodding. He had to observe everything. His twin who had gone missing over a year ago was lying unconscious in front of him. It was strange to see him again as he had nearly given up hope that Gene was alive. Tentatively he tried his psychic link with his brother and couldn't pick up any connection. It was probably still blocked. He paused and reached behind him to grab Mai's hand and squeezed it tight.

A stream of images overwhelmed him and he knew that his psychometry was working on Mai again, possibly because Yoshiyaki was unconscious and had lost her connection with the spirits that the Sakurazukamori controlled. So why couldn't he link with Gene?

Naru narrowed his eyes and took in his brother's pale unmoving face and his white yukata that matched the one that Mai was wearing, only with a different neckline. Mai's crossed left over right whereas Gene's was the opposite way. He frowned as his knowledge of a Japanese tradition about the dead came back to him. The dead wore a kimono with a different neckline to the living.

To confirm his suspicions he strained his eyes to check if his brother was actually breathing. He was standing too far away from him too check properly the tinge to his brother's skin told him the truth and he knew what he had to do.

Naru cleared his throat. "Of course I can destroy you and your damn tree with PK without any regard for my brother's life: he is dead and has been for a long time."

He raised his arms and let loose a burst of PK that engulfed the cherry blossom tree, his brother's dead body and the Sakurazukamori assassin. When the burst dissipated, they had all disappeared and crater was left in their place. He dropped his arms and sighed.