005

"Who was that?" Linh demanded, the moment they climbed into the car, safely out of earshot.

Tam played dumb. "Who was who?"

Linh rolled her eyes, taking a sip of her drink. "The barista. The brunette girl? Isn't she the homecoming queen nominee? You guys were talking for a while."

"I mean, of course we did," Tam said defensively, trying to level his voice. "She had to take my order, after all."

Linh raised an eyebrow, obviously unconvinced.

Tam pulled out of the Cafe Latte parking lot, speeding down the street faster than the speed limit allowed. He honestly couldn't care less.

But Linh was right. That was Biana Vacker, daughter of Mayor Alden, last year's homecoming queen and this year's nominee. He brushed his thumb over the tiny heart Biana had drawn until Linh reminded him to keep both hands on the steering wheel.

"Have fun at swim practice, okay? Do you want me to come pick you up or do you have another ride home?" Tam unlocked the car doors and Linh slid out onto the pavement.

"I'll get a ride," Linh promised, shouldering her bag. She turned back to Tam and grinned. "Don't worry about me. How about you go text that cute girl at the cafe back and-"

Tam closed the door, rolling his eyes through a smile. What irritated Tam the most was that he knew he'd inevitably end up doing just that.

But what were you supposed to text a girl online that you'd only met once in your life?

Hi, I remember you :)  No, then he sounded like a stalker.

Do you need anything?  Tam the soccer mom. He could totally see it.

I really liked your last post :D  Now he was a seven-year-old. Great.

After a few depressing attempts, he typed the shortest, simplest message he could think of and hit send before he could stop himself.

bianav-: active one hour ago

hey :)

Maybe the smiley face was overkill, Tam thought sourly, closing out the app. A notification brightened his screen seconds later, and it pained Tam to notice how excited he was at the thought of Biana's response.

1 new notification: @foxfirehighschool uploaded a new post

Tam rolled his eyes. Of course he couldn't expect Biana to respond so quickly. It wasn't like she was on her phone 24/7, waiting impatiently for a million different boys to text her back.

@foxfirehighschool

remember to visit our website at www.foxfirehighschool.net to vote for this year's homecoming queen/king! polls close in a week :)

#homecoming #foxfire

❤ 4 🗨 1

The homecoming vote. Of course.

Tam remembered his disgust at it from just this morning.

Without thinking, he clicked on the link in the post and made a few taps that were both painful and gratifying at the same time.

Your response has been recorded! Thank you for voting for:

Biana Amberly Vacker