017

Tam wasn't a huge fan of this whole "in love" thing.

Everytime he tried to focus on something- like not knocking himself unconscious at football practices which, to Coach Harding's disappointment, was becoming increasingly difficult -his thoughts drifted back to Biana. It made it very hard to concentrate, even when Coach Harding pulled Tam aside to tell him that he was considering making Keefe team captain instead. 

Not to mention everytime his phone pinged with a notification, he basically dropped everything to check what it was in case Biana decided to text him.

Instead, it was that annoying number again: Maruca. Tam wasn't too familiar with the name, but her persistent texts implied she had been involved with the posting of Tam's pathetically iconic video.

1 new notification: unknown number texted you two new messages

for the last time, can you PLEASE call me?

 or at least pick up your phone?

Tam rolled his eyes. Desperate was an understatement. Reluctantly, knowing Maruca wouldn't give up until he blocked her number, Tam pressed the call button. His phone barely rang for a second before a girl's voice responded.

"Finally. I was beginning to think you were too busy getting knocked out during varsity practice to pick up your phone."

"What do you want, Maruca?" Tam grumbled, already disliking the conversation. 

"Look, Stina's going to kill me for this. But... it's not fair to Sophie. Or your little girlfriend."

Tam cleared his throat. Was she talking about Biana?

"If this is about the video, forget about it. Nobody cares anymore." Which, thankfully, was true. The school had new gossip to discuss. And besides, as much as Tam hated to admit it, the video had sort of worked in his favor. Without it, there would've been no varsity football, no homecoming with Biana.

"It's about the vote. The homecoming polls. Have you checked them recently?"

"Nope." Only to see if he could vote multiple times for Biana. "Why?"

Tam could practically hear Maruca's grimace. "They're rigged. Stina's winning by a landslide. I figured that... well, 'cause I couldn't stop Marella from posting that video of you, the least I could do is feed you some information. Especially since I'm sure your little girlfriend would've won if it wasn't for Stina cheating."

There it was again. Your little girlfriend.

"Thanks, I guess. But... Maruca, how do you know this?"

It took a few moments of silence for Tam to realize she had already hung up.