014

Tam missed. Big surprise there.

Instead, the football went soaring above Keefe's head, past the field's halfway mark and all the way to the end of the grass. There was dead silence as everyone's eyes followed the flying football, staring at the spot where it landed.

Oops.

Tam braced himself for scolding, snickers, maybe a one way trip to the principal's office for attempted-concussion-by-football- but instead, he received slow, reluctant... applause?

"Never in my twenty-five years of teaching..." Coach Harding muttered beneath his breath, staring at the sky in wonder. "Incredible aim... flawless delivery..."

"What do you mean?!" Keefe shouted. "He was shooting for my head! He could've chopped off The Hair!"

"Quiet, Sencen!" Coach Harding snapped. "I expect more respectful behavior towards your new team captain."

"TEAM CAPTAIN?! He tried to kill me!"

Tam shook his head, wondering if his hearing was off. "Me? Team Captain? But I-"

He wanted to say no- that he'd never touched a football in his life before that day, that his "flawless delivery" was nothing more than a lucky shot. But seeing the protest on Keefe's face sparked something inside of Tam that was completely unfamiliar- he had an advantage.

"I mean... it's an absolute honor, Coach. Thank you."

"Aw, lighten up kid. Forget about 'absolute honor,' this is football not English class! Just pat your buddies on the back and get out of here." Coach Harding turned back to the rest of the group. "Great job today boys. I've seen some excellent progress! I'll be in contact soon about your positions on the team."

The crowd dispersed. Keefe "accidentally" shoved his shoulder into Tam as he passed, shooting him a dirty look.

"I"ll get you back for this, Song. Just wait."