Prologue

Suffice it be to say, things happened. Shit hit the fan, as the humans say in their 21st century slang. Stefan ran off with Klaus to somehow 'rediscover' his Ripper side, and in the process Rebekah became undaggered. 

Jeremy Gilbert started seeing ghosts of past vampire exes, namely Vicki Donovan, Matt's sister, and Anna. 

Caroline was kidnapped by her dad who thought he could cure her of being a vampire (did I ever mention that she became one? no thanks to Katherine, though)

Then Stefan and Klaus returned to Mystic Falls, after weeks of fruitless searching for the pair by Alaric Saltzman and Elena Gilbert, who, surprise, surprise, is still alive. I never really cared for the Gilbert girl, but I feel sympathetic for her. Somewhat. She lost her adoptive parents, and her real parents turned out to be terrible people. 

Then Rebekah moved in with the Salvatore brothers, and ever since, she and I have become quite close. Then Tyler Lockwood became a hybrid, and the ghosts suddenly became real. People like Vicki Donovan and Mason Lockwood (Tyler's uncle) started to cause havoc within Mystic Falls until Bonnie Bennett sent them away. 

Then Alaric found cave drawings that told the story of the Original family, along with all of the names of the family, primarily their father, Mikael. Then Rebekah revealed to Elena about the secrets of the Original family. And Mikael arrived in Mystic Falls, being raised back to life by Katherine Pierce. 

Then the homecoming dance happened, and Mikael disrupted that too, but by a mere stroke of dumb luck on the Salvatores' part, Mikael died. Mostly thanks to Klaus. Also, Klaus and I have become closer, like as friends (not what you think, guys!). And Stefan stole the coffins of the Original family, including Elijah's, from Klaus. 

And there's where our story begins. I'm hoping that things are going to get better, but little did I know - it was only going to go downhill from here.