Chapter 1: The Coffins

The Salvatore Boarding House. Mystic Falls. 

Stefan opened the door, stepping inside to hear loud music playing. A familiar face was sitting in one of the high-backed chairs with his back to Stefan, sipping a glass of bourbon. Taking the remote from the small table next to Klaus, he flipped it once, then he turned down the music. 

'What do you want, Klaus?' he asked, coming around to stand in front of the Original hybrid. 

'Enjoying our stalemate,' he said blankly, leaning back in his chair and looking up at Stefan. 

'What do you want?' Stefan repeated sharply. 

'Question is, what do you want? My hybrids left town as you demanded, so please tell me what I need to do to get my family back.' 

'Well, see, Klaus, I'm not negotiating.' The younger vampire put the remote back on another table, then crashed into a chair next to him. 

'And you understand that holding them indefinitely is the same as dropping them in the ocean?' 

'No, no, you leave Mystic Falls and then give me a call in a few years and then we'll talk.' 

'I'm going to give you another chance,' Klaus replied, leaning forward to face Stefan, his voice low and threatening. 'Just one more. Let's make a reasonable deal.' 

'Or what?' Stefan taunted. 'You make one move, and I will -' The older vampire chuckled. 

'Yes, that's right. Crazy Stefan. How's that working out for you? Any friends left?' 

Several hours later... 

It had been a long day. Stefan and Elena had gotten kidnapped and held against their will, Bonnie went to see her mom but things went out of hand, and Damon was busy keeping Klaus running around in circles, and well... I was going back and forth between my apartment and being around Klaus, trying to keep murderous intent at bay as best as I could - not exactly to any success. I was in the Salvatore home, sitting on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table, sipping a blood bag, when Stefan walked into the house. 

'Oh, you're still alive?' he said tauntingly. 'I guess that means Klaus didn't get his coffins.' 

'Well, don't look so happy,' Damon replied. 'I was only able to get one of them out in time. The locked one.' 

'Probably a good choice. What is she doing here?' He glared at me.

'Your place has the better blood bags,' I said, taking a sip. 'Plus, I need a break.' 

'And what were you doing? Helping Klaus?' 

'I've been back and forth all day, Stefan. I'm not on anybody's side.' Stefan scoffed, turning back to Damon. 

'You know, if you're banking on Bonnie's mama to open it,' Damon remarked, 'you're screwed. She doesn't have any powers.' 

'Ah, doesn't surprise me. It's been that kind of night.' He turned to walk away, but then Damon spoke. 

'Is Elena okay?' Stefan stood stock still at this question, then whirled around and punched him in the face. 

'I take it you two had a heart-to-heart,' he groaned, holding his face. 'And I take it you don't want to talk about it. Noted.' He pulled out a dagger, showing it to Stefan. 'So why don't we talk about this?' I stood, frowning at the dagger. 

'Is that -' I asked, trailing off in shock. 

'The dagger that held your Original vampire boyfriend in a coffin? Why, yes, it is, sweetheart.' Stefan frowned at him, the two of us giving each other a side-eye. 

'What did you do?' 

A house somewhere in Mystic Falls. A couple moments later. 

Klaus and Daniel, his hybrid, helped put the coffins into a room. 

'You've got your family back, finally,' Daniel said as he wheeled the last coffin into place. 'Are you going to open them?' Klaus walked towards the hybrid minion. 

'Not quite yet,' Klaus replied, with a small smile. 'I still have some unfinished business to take care of.' 

'What business?' the hybrid asked, but before Klaus could reply, the hybrid minion fell down dead to reveal Elijah standing behind him with the hybrid's heart in his hand, glaring at Niklaus. 

'So, Niklaus...' the Original said, coming forward, dropping the heart onto the carpet. 

'Elijah?' Klaus asked. 

'What did I miss? And where is Lilliana?'