Chapter 4: A Tough Bargain

Later in the dinner party... 

Damon looked down at his phone, seeing the text from Bonnie. 

Getting closer. Need more time. 

Then Elijah spoke up. 

'So, why don't we move this evening along and discuss the terms of this proposal?' 

'That's very simple,' Damon replied. 'Klaus gets his coffin back. In exchange, he and the Original extended family, including Lilliana, because she's very clearly demonstrated that she's on your side, leave Mystic Falls forever. Me, Stefan and Elena live happily ever after. No grudges.' 

'The deal sounds fair, brother,' Elijah noted. 

'I don't think you understand,' Klaus said, meeting both of their eyes. 'Elena's doppelganger blood ensures that I will always have more hybrids to fight those that oppose me. I will never leave her behind.' He got up and walked around to the back of his chair, leaning over it to speak to the brothers. 'Let's say I do leave her here, under your protection. What then? How long before one of you turns her into a vampire? Or worse, how long before she dies, caught between your feuding? You see, each one of you truly believes that you're the one who can protect her. That is simply a delusion. Gentlemen, the worst thing for Elena Gilbert... is the two of you.' Damon stood up from his seat. 

'I'm gonna get some air,' he said. 

'Let me deal with this,' Elijah said, standing, then holding out his hand to me. 'Come, Lilliana.' I took his hand as he led me out of the room, leaving Klaus and Stefan alone. 

'All this talk has made me thirsty,' Klaus said, looking over to one of the compelled women. She walked over, and he held her, brushing aside her hair to reveal her neck. 'Can I interest you in a little after-dinner drink?' His fangs came out, his eyes changed, and he sunk his fangs into her neck, sucking the blood from her veins, Stefan simply staring at him from across the table. 

A while later... 

Klaus lifted his head from the girl's neck as she laid limp in his arms, eyes closed. He dropped her to the floor, dead. 

'Delicious. Aged to perfection,' he said, sucking the remainders of the blood off of his finger. Stefan stood and walked towards Klaus. 

'Well, I guess the only reason you agreed to this evening, Klaus, is to drive a wedge between me and my brother.' 

'Oh, no, you're doing that well enough on your own. Because of Elena, you'll lose your brother and you'll only have yourself to blame.' Elijah and Damon re-entered the room alongside Lilliana, the Original and his girlfriend coming to stand behind Klaus' chair as he sat again, and Damon and Stefan standing across from them. 

'What do you say, Klaus?' Damon asked. 'It's time for you to put something on the table. We've made our offer. Now you counter.'

'Okay. I offer Elena's future happiness,' Klaus replied. 'You see, what she needs right now is to be rid of you lot. And to fall in love with a human, maybe that nice football player, you know, the blonde one?' 

'Matt Donovan?' Damon asked with a disgusted look on his face. 'Really?' 

'Yeah, why not?' Klaus shot back. 'They'll marry, live a long and fruitful life, and pop out a perfect family.' 

'And continue the Petrova bloodline,' Stefan retorted. 'And every few hundred years, you'll have a new doppelganger to drain and never run out of hybrids, right, Klaus?'