THIRTEEN

BAUCHI STATE, NIGERIA.

Mahnoor stood up from her sit and place her baby leisurely on it, they are talking nonsense now. They are already discussing how the case is going to be closed and never to rise again while she sat there with her dead baby in her arms. That is not going to happen on her watch, she won't allow that. Closing the case for the sake of their son and letting their grandson's life to not Rest In Peace?

They are thinking about letting the murderer go scot free while her son hasn't even rested in his final abode? Are they out of their minds now?

"You are also corrupted, ACP. I never knew you would result to accepting bribe in a murder case. And you will be able to sleep like that with someone's justice superseded because of your selfish needs?" She spoke, her voice more poised than before just like her expression and stance.

Everyone in the room yaw their attention to her because they didn't notice when she stood up or even knew she was listening to Zubairu Ajuji talk about something they all don't agree with, even Hajiya Hadiza for once don't agree with her husband's decision to not get justice for their grandson. What doesn't make sense here is, why would a father kill his own son just because he was intoxicated?

Stunned into silence, the ACP watched her with his mouth slightly agape, she is such a midget but her words release such strong impact on him that no one's ever had. He's been in that system for awhile now and living his whole life in Nigeria showed him exactly how things go in a Herculean way. Whether he accepts this bribe or not, this case is going to be dismissed quicker than anyone could blink an eye and not a soul in public will know about it. That is what happens when you have both power and wealth in the society that rates that more than anything. Nothing could ever go against you and not even the law itself. You can dismiss almost everything within a snap of fingers.

That is what is going to happen with this case too. The Ajuji family has always been puissant and dynamic right from his forefathers, a powerful family that got more power than the president himself. All the generations of Ajuji were respected to the core and no one wants to be involved in their bad books, not even the constitution. Their branch spread throughout Nigeria, intertwining it with it's firm stance and guiding them in sheaves. The most easiest way is go with the flow, accept whatever they offer and move on.

It is exactly what ACP Abubakar is doing, getting something off situation he knew will be handled with or without his help. He needs the money, so why not accept it and do what needs to be done while the family rest and settle their stuff? There is nothing he can do to change the omnipotence this family have and the sooner Mahnoor accepts that, the better it would be for her. No one wants to fight a game he won't win in, it'd be a failure you will never forget.

"Justice must be served. How could you even think about letting this go when your grandson's corpse is still with us right now? He is lying there, dead, murdered and his murderer is about to be dismissed just like that? This is unfair!" Asad ejaculated, his eyes piercing through his father's unfeeling one for the first time holding eye contact with the powerful man that's always sent shivers down his spine but he is going to help Mahnoor fight this case or she will be all alone.

He is the only one that is willing to stand against his father for the first time in his entire life, he won't stop until things are set right. Whether his father will be disappointed or not, that won't be his cup of tea anymore. This is the last straw of his injustice. He's been unjust to his children and now to his grandson too? What is the world turning to and why is his father the way he is? So selfish with only one motive, to become the governor of the state in three years and continue to reign for eight then campaign for presidency.

"Asad, don't talk when elders are talking. I don't want to hear your opinion on this." Zubairu warned, the threat beneath his voice earning a startled look from all his children as they've never heard him talk with such drip of precariousness till today. That side is always hidden for his political people.