8

Scooter was still holding me when I woke up for the second time. I felt my stomach turn in knots when I start to try and figure out my feelings towards this particular...situation. 

I detach myself from him and get out of bed, pulling on a random pair of pajama pants and going downstairs to make breakfast, or lunch, whichever one is more acceptable.

The clock reads just past 10 when I get downstairs. I grab a box of cereal from the cupboard and pour myself a bowl. I turn on the TV while I eat my breakfast, trying to drown at my own thoughts. 

I'm frustrated with myself. 

I really let that happen, didn't I? 

Fuck. 

I shovel more food in to my mouth, trying to bury it all. 

It almost dies, but then Scooter sits down next to me, eating a bowl of his own cereal, "Morning." 

"Morning," I look over at him, "Are those my pants?"

Scooter looks down at the pajama pants, "No. You stole them from me, I stole them back. So, technically, they're mine." 

I suck on my teeth for a second, making an audibly pop sound, "Alright." 

We sit and eat our cereal, watching the newest Boy Meets World episode. When we finish eating, I grab both of our bowls and clean them. 

I honestly can't tell if everything that's going on is awkward or if I just feel like it's awkward. Like, I don't know what Scooter's thinking, fuck what if I just ruined our entire friendship? Well, it was a very nice way to ruin a friendship but...no fuck. Stop. 

"You know what? Fuck you! No! Fuck you!" And then my front door slams. 

I turn off the sink and rush to see what's happening. When I turn the corner nearing my front door, I see Mindy staring at my front door. She's breathing heavily, she probably just got in another argument with Rick. Nothing new, really. 

"Mindy?" I call out. She huffs out a breath and turns around to face me, "You ok?" 

Mindy throws her purse on the ground and lets out a loud groan, "No! Fuck, no. I'm not. I hate Rick and I'm never getting back together with him. Ugh! He's so awful!" 

"Did you guys...just...breakup? Like, just now?" Mindy nods, "Alright, one second." I turn around and leave Mindy standing at my door. I walk to my living room where Scooter is mindlessly watching the show still, "Scooter, go outside. Rick and Mindy just broke up. Time to do our job." 

Scooter looks over at me and then leans his head back so he can stare at the ceiling as he groans, "Again?" 

I nod, "Yeah." 

He groans again, "Alright." 

I follow him to the front door, he leaves it and I hear the muffled yelling of Rick's voice outside. I put my hands on my waist and turn to look at Mindy, her face still red from anger, "Ok, let's talk." 

Mindy and I had ended up in my bedroom, she was crying on my bed as she was explaining this break up. As often as this happens, you'd think that I'd get better at comforting her, but nope, crying still makes me uncomfortable. So, I just sit there and let her talk. 

And talk. 

And talk. 

"And then I just said fuck it. I'm done, we're over. You know?" She wipes her face clean of tears. 

I squint at her, "So, you guys broke up...because he was jealous about a guy flirting with you? Didn't you guys break up over this the last time too?" 

Mindy falls back and lays on her back, "God, Jess. It's like you don't even listen!" 

"I am listening! That's why I asked!" 

"Jess." Mindy whines, drawing out my name. 

"Ok, look. I fully believe that if you ever decide you want Rick back, then he would take you back in a heartbeat. If he had to sacrifice his brother to get you back, he'd do it. And he loves his brother." 

Mindy stares up at my ceiling, making the both of us sit in silence for just a heartbeat, "I miss him already." 

"I know. That's why I said all that." 

Mindy turns around and pushes her face into my bed, practically screaming into it, and then yelling, "I hate men." 

I laugh and respond with a, "Me too." 

I climb out of bed and go to my window, "Well, Rick's still outside if you wanna go and get back together with him." 

I look back to see Mindy sitting back up, "Nah, I wanna make him sweat a little bit. And, in the meantime, you can tell you exactly what you were up to last night because girl..." 

I feel my face heat up and I hold my hands up to my cheeks to try and cover the unwilling reaction. Honestly, I had forgotten all about it up until just now. I guess that's what Rick and Mindy drama is good for. 

"Nothing." 

"Did you bring someone home from the party? I mean no one was really here and it's still decently early right now." 

"No, no. I didn't bring anyone home. Only Scooter, but you knew that." 

Fuck. 

I should not have said that. 

I watch Mindy's reaction. Her eyes widen and her jaw drops, "Oh. My. God." I should not have said that. "Oh my god!" Mindy squeals. "About time, tell me everything." 

"Nothing happened!" 

Mindy leans back and raises an eyebrow at me, "New hickeys, bruises on your thighs, and don't think I didn't notice your little walk of shame." 

I look down at my thighs to see the tiniest of bruises on my thighs, I hadn't realized how hard Scooter had grabbed me, "Your future kids are absolutely going to hate you." 

"Yeah, they won't get away with shit in my house. So, how was it?" 

"I am not telling you." I scoff as I sit back down on my bed. 

Mindy smirks at me, "That good, huh?" 

I purse my lips and laugh, "Totally honest, I don't remember quite a bit of it. We were both really fucking drunk." 

Mindy raises an eyebrow, "What about the parts that you do remember?" 

I smile slowly, remembering the events of last night, "Well...I probably won't be forgetting those moments for a very, very long time." 

Mindy squealed and kicked her feet in excitement, "Ok, so what are you guys planning on doing now?" 

I pause and think about the conversation from this morning, "I don't know... he left that up to me." 

Mindy scoffs, "He would." 

I glance back over at my window, "Do you think that he's talking to Rick about me?" 

Mindy thinks for a moment, "No. I don't think Scooter would, especially if he has no idea what's going on with you guys. Besides, they don't really talk about their sexual endeavors. I told Rick I'd cut his dick off if he talked to Scooter about me." 

I turn my attention back to Mindy, the image of Rick and Scooter fading from my mind, "That means you can't tell Rick either. If you do, I'll cut off your boobs." 

Mindy grabs her boobs, "You wouldn't." 

I lower my eyebrows slightly, "Yes I would." 

She sighs and lets go of her boobs, "Ok. Fine. Speaking of Rick, I think he's sweated for long enough. I'll see you later." 

She stands up and walks to my door, "Have fun with Rick." I call out. Mindy rolls her eyes at me and I hear her walk down the stairs and out the front door. 

I fall back on my bed and cover my eyes with my arm, "Fuck."