Chapter Two: Pinpoint

January 2020

When Jake woke up the next morning, he was anything but refreshed. He had tossed and turned all night, silently berating himself in his head.

How in the world had he forgotten the single most important detail in his new plan to bring Brennan winter workouts?

Jake had been the Brennan coach for a season and he was sure, no, he knew, Nick would tell him that it wasn't his fault but part of Jake felt angry at himself and... embarrassed. He had been walking around this facility and this school for the better part of a year.

How had the thought of a place to use to practice not cracked his mind?

Jake had spent the time he laid down to 3 am blaming himself until he knew he had to stop and just face the problem head-on. He sat on the edge of his bed, knowing one thing for certain:

He had to talk to Sam Adair.

Jake walked into his office and unlocked the door, balancing his coffee cup on his arm until he got control of the door. He walked in and Parker Fox was seated in front of his desk.

"Oh. Hi, 22. What's up?" Jake tried not to sound confused but he was.

"Um. Can I... talk to you for a little bit, Coach?"

Jake rounded his desk, putting his computer bag on the ground, and took a look at Parker. He looked exhausted and seemed like he had been crying.

"You alright, Fox?" Jake asked all his attention on the kid.

Parker sighed, looking at the ground. "It's just my parents. They've been fighting a lot. Dad came by the house last night and they had the biggest fight they've had in a while. Then... Mom left. I don't know where she went. She won't answer my texts."

Jake didn't know what to say. He had known that Parker's parents were having some trouble when he went over there one day but he didn't have a clue as to how fast it would escalate.

"Oh. I'm sorry, Parker. I'm sure she'll answer you soon," Jake said, racking his brain for other things he could say.

"Coach Jake, did your parents ever get a divorce?" Parker asked.

"Uh, yeah, 22. Yeah, they did. When I was about seven or eight. I don't really remember that much. Although, I wished I did because I have always wondered what it would be like to have grown up in a house and live with them both. Together," Jake said, quietly.

Parker didn't say anything as he looked at the wall. "They haven't gotten one yet but I think they're going to," he said, softly.
    "Can I ask what makes you think that?" Jake asked, taking a sip of his coffee, hoping it would wake him up more.

This situation he was in with Parker was probably going to help as well.

"They fight all the time, all they do is say hateful things, and they don't really pay attention to me and my sisters anymore," Parker said.

Jake was silent until he offered a slight smile to Parker. "I don't think I've ever met your sisters, 22. What are they like?"

Jake knew that Parker loved his sisters more than anything in the world and although Jake had never met them, he knew the mention of them would bring a smile to Parker's face.

And Jake was absolutely right.

"My sister Gracie is 16. She goes here actually. She's a cheerleader for football and basketball. She loves it. And my other sister is Dianne. She's 21 and we call her Joy," Parker said, laughing at the memory.