Chapter Six: No-Win Situation

March 30th, 2020

"Almost a month into this quarantine. It's crazy. Feels like we've been living this way forever."

"I know, right," Jake said incredulously, looking down at Riley.

Riley was back from Massachusetts and Jake couldn't be happier. Or more grateful. He would never tell Riley outright but he was worried for her safety there. As much as he feared for his own, he was more fixated on Riley's. And more so, Mac and Nick. They were being careful as was Jake with Nick. Masks always on and when Jake and Nick played baseball a few weeks ago, they spread out.

It didn't totally eliminate the fear though...

"How was Massachusetts by the way?" Jake asked Riley, now that he was thinking about it.

"It was beautiful. I hope I can take you there someday," Riley said, smiling at Jake.

"You're so adorable. Of course, we can go. Oh, that reminds me. I have a coming home present for you."

Jake pulled himself from Riley and walked over to the speaker on his kitchen counter, pulling out his phone. Soon, the sounds of In Case You Didn't Know by country singer Brett Young( one of Riley's favorites)filled the kitchen. Jake walked back over to Riley and put his hands on her waist and slowly started dancing with her.

"The sounds of this song and your laughter are my favorite," Jake said, grinning at his girlfriend.

"I love you," Riley said, as Jake spun her around.

They laughed and danced to countless songs until Jake's phone rang. Riley held on to Jake's hand as he tried to pull away. Jake laughed as he answered his phone.

"Jake, it's Nick. Mac's father is getting a whole lot worse. Could you possibly make a visit?"

"Oh Nick, I'm sorry. Of course. Riley's with me now. You want her to come too?"

"Yeah, of course. Maybe she can calm Mac down."

"Alright. We'll be there as fast as we can," Jake said, looking at Riley.

"Thank you," Nick said gratefully as Jake hung up.

"What's wrong, J?" Riley asked.

"Mac's father is in the hospital. They think he may have COVID but they are waiting on the test. Nick just called and said that he is getting worse. He wants us to go there," Jake said, hugging Riley.

"Of course. I want to be there for Mac," Riley said, her eyes showing concern. Jake pulled her in close and kissed her head.

"That's why I love you. Always the most compassionate soul, Riley Tamaquez."

Jake knocked on the wall outside the door and Riley rushed in, hugging Mackenzie while Jake walked over to Nick who was half asleep in the chair. Jake gently shook his shoulder to rouse him and guided him out of the room.

"Hey. You want to get a coffee?"

"Yeah. Yeah, coffee would be great, Jake. Thanks," Nick said, rubbing his eyes. The two friends started to walk down the hallway to the stairs that led to the cafe. Jake took a glance at Nick.

"You look exhausted. How long have you two been here?"

Nick took a deep breath. "No idea. Mac fell asleep around 3 am. I never went to sleep, hence me almost being able to this morning. Time just flew by."

Jake's mouth opened slightly as Nick held up a finger. "And before you ask, yes, I knew I could go home, but I didn't want to leave my father-in-law... nevertheless my fiancée in a hospital. Alone. In the middle of a global pandemic."