Chapter Eleven: Perspective Change

It had been a little over a week and a half since Jake and Nick's big blowup. Neither guy had spoken more than a word, not even hi, for the time being. It was like both of them didn't exist. And Riley and Mac were both worried for their partners. Mac knew how sick Jake was and had an inkling as to what it was but she didn't prod Nick for it and she definitely didn't want to ask Ry for fear she had no idea. But judging by the face Mackenzie saw when she opened her front door, Riley had every clue she needed.

"Hey, M. Can I come in?"

"Of course. What makes you think I would say no?" Mac laughed, awkwardly.

Riley looked around for a minute before her eyes landed back on Mackenzie. "Is Nick here?"

"No, he went to the gym. Why?"

"We need to talk, Mac."

"Oh... kay," Mac said, stretching the word out. She closed the door behind Riley as she followed her into the kitchen.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" Mac asked.

"Water's fine," Riley replied, absentmindedly. "Okay, Mac. I'll cut straight to the chase because I didn't come here to drink water. What did Nick say?"

"What did Ni... What are you talking about?"

"I know Nick and Jake haven't been on speaking terms for the past week and I just want to know what the hell Nick did."

"What Nick did? Why don't you keep your eyes on your own boy?"

"You think Jake did this when he can barely leave the couch, Mac? You're high if you think J had anything to do with this."

"Riley, it was a fight with the both of them! Maybe they both said something. Why don't you keep yourself in your own lane, alright?"

Mac's heart was beating faster and faster not wanting Nick to come home in the middle of all this.

"Why don't you do the same, M, and I'll be chill."

Riley grabbed her purse and stormed out, running into Nick (literally) as she left. Nick shut the door behind him and jogged into the kitchen to find his fiancée with tears in her eyes.

"Mac! What the hell happened?" Nick went to hug her but Mac backed away, a hand held out in front of her.

"Don't touch me, Nick."

"Mackenzie, what... are you alright? Why was Riley here? Is everything alright?"

A barrage of questions were spilling out of his mouth and he couldn't seem to stop them from coming.

"Nick Zaminski, what exactly did you say to Jake?"

There was silence as Mac looked at him. "So?"

"So, what, babe?"

"What did you say?" Mac asked, stressing every word.

"He said some things. I said some things. We're taking a break from each other because of it. Why do you want to know? It's none of your business. No disrespect, hun, but you don't want to get in the middle of this."

"It becomes my business when Jake's girl comes and accuses me of something you possibly said," Mac said, her voice just a couple decibels close to becoming a full-on scream.

"What?" Nick asked, his level matching Mackenzie.

"That's why she was here, Nick," Mac said, talking to her fiancé as if he was a six-year-old.

"Mackenzie, I never said anything. I was rambling shit about my sister and I was only two shots in."

"Two shots in?! Nick Zaminski, you drank before you went to Jake's house?"