Chapter 11: Life Isn't That Kind

Warnings: fighting, blood, language

___

Shinso's POV

The figure rises into the air as the wind picks up and circles around them, dragging along pieces of debris. Aizawa bursts forward as the Revived jumps through the barrier of wind. With this cue, I start directing the rescue crew away from the scene, using my capture weapon to catch and redirect any flying debris. I return to the wreckage as quickly as I can to find Aizawa evading each of the Revived's insanely rapid attacks.

As I watch, searching for some overlooked weak point, I finally catch something. When Aizawa occasionally throws some flying debris at the Revived, they catch it causing it to drop straight to the ground and be left behind. I join him as he dodges atop the neighboring buildings and start using my capture weapon to fire debris toward the Revived. Aizawa quickly picks up on my idea.

There are electrical currents and fire shooting in every direction, but now that it is joined by chunks of concrete, things get sketchy. Our wall that's being built around the Revived is still growing, but it's not enough. Then something changes: the fire and electricity are no longer being released, which might mean that they've run out of that energy.

The wind then directs a chunk of the collapsed building several times as big as me to the Revived, which they catch easily before turning to us. Aizawa and I stand atop one of the buildings and give each other a knowing look. When the chunk is thrown, both of us move out of the way, catch it with our capture weapons, and send it hurtling back down to land on top of the Revived. From the lack of movement, I think we caught them off guard, so Aizawa and I drop to the ground to observe.

We stand on either side of the circular mound of debris when the giant chunk topping it is shattered and the revived pops up above the wall we had created to look directly at me. I ready my weapon, but I don't need to do anything because the Revived freezes and slowly turns around to Aizawa, allowing me to glimpse the knife sticking out of the back of their head. With him distracted and now weakened, I send my weapon forward to wrap multiple times around their form as they fall onto their back.

My eye catches Aizawa turning to attack the floating figure, but I keep my attention focused on the trapped person – or rather, corpse – beneath me. The knife has pierced the whole way through their head because of the fall, so the point of the knife shows through the center of their forehead.

The Revived gives me a glare before sending a blinding light into my face. Fuck, the sunlight! 

I can't see anything, but I feel my weapon ripped from my form as I'm shoved backward. I feel some debris against the back of my foot, but I manage to prevent myself from falling. When I can see again, my weapon lies behind the Revived, and they grin at me, no longer contained. 

I can't use my quirk, I'm separated from my weapon, and Aizawa is elsewhere. This is not where I want to die. 

I bend down to grab the debris behind my heel, rush the Revived, and throw it into their face, taking this millisecond of time to slide between their legs. Now behind them, I grab my capture weapon and ready it. As I turn around, I throw my weapon in their direction prematurely to save time, but when I finish my spin, my weapon flies through nothing. I look to the ground to find a small pile of deflated skin and sand. Aizawa's knife lies atop it, clean.

Why? None of the sand was spilling from the wound earlier, so why have they collapsed? It doesn't make sense. 

Never mind this, I need to help Aizawa. Leaving the crater, I see Aizawa from across the square floating in the air motionless, his hair standing on end.