Chapter 18: Enjoy The Party (While You Can)

Warnings: none,

___

Midoriya's POV

~ 1 Month Later ~

When I exit the chauffeured car with Kacchan ahead of me, I look up to see a building towering over our heads. Adjusting the sleeves and tie of my suit, we walk toward the entrance. Unlike most parties with heroes, this building isn't surrounded by paparazzi or crowds, only a discreet number of police officers to guard the perimeter. It's almost relaxing knowing that I can attend a social event without becoming claustrophobic over any people or cameras that might surround me.

Once inside, there is a station where any audio and video devices are confiscated. The Hero Commission wants this to be as private as possible, so information about tonight's event hasn't been released to the public and anything that can be used to broadcast or record it is not permitted. Plus, it's about 3 o'clock in the morning, so nobody would be awake to even notice the event happening in the moment.

I'm not particularly fond of having my means of communication cut off, but I really need this time where the rest of the world doesn't have to exist. Since that villain attack and Shinso being poisoned, the country has been eerily silent, which leaves me and many others anxious with the anticipation of their next move. I can trust the Commission and the Police to keep this place safe, though, so I can spend some quality time being at peace.

The moment I step inside the main room, I am greeted by the sight of a few hundred heroes chatting and dancing in the largest ballroom I have ever seen. All the Hero Commission members are supposed to be here tonight as well, and I can see some of them gathered near a stage.

When I gaze upward, a majority of the ceiling is made of glass and the lights up there are all turned off; I can see some of the stars of the early morning sky. The only lighting for the room is dimmed and emanates from along the walls and atop a few added pillars around the center. The resulting warm glow of the room causes my heart to flutter within my chest.

"Hey, earth to Deku," Kacchan says pulling me out of a trance. "Stop standing in the doorway like a deer in headlights and actually join the party."

Chuckling, I follow him into the crowd and run into a few of my former classmates from UA. Everyone looks so stunning: Uraraka actually has her hair up and styled for once, Iida has taken his typical level of fashion formality to another level, Nejire apparently convinced Tamaki to get his ears pierced, and Kaminari finally has had his bandages removed. I spend an hour or so continuing to talk to friends, older heroes, and even some of the newbies.

Eventually, I find myself scouting the layout of food near the entrance and having a conversation with Tokoyami. We are then interrupted by a security officer with an earpiece that whispers something to Tokoyami, something that can't be good considering his growing eyes and new expression. He turns towards the door, but I grab his shoulder lightly.

"What's wrong?"

"My agency has been attacked. They want to keep things quiet for the sake of everyone else's peace, but I need to go take care of this. Don't worry, I've already had plenty of fun here, so focus on your own." Tokoyami informs me quickly before walking as quickly as he can to the door without seeming suspicious.

I hesitate, but I decide to listen to his suggestion and return to the dancefloor. Though I try to push the thoughts out of my head, I can't help but worry, and it doesn't help to see three more of our best heroes leave the party hastily. I cave when I catch red and white making its way to the entrance.

"Todoroki!" I call catching up to him a few meters from the door, "Where are you going? Did something happen?"

"Yes, someone is attacking my agency and I need to get there quickly," Todoroki answers grabbing the doorknob before turning to me, "I apologize that we didn't get to speak much tonight. Don't worry about me. Just enjoy the party."

Enjoy the party. How can enjoy anything when my friends are in trouble?

___

A/N: The chapter got a bit long, so I decided to split it up. I apologize if it seems a bit choppy, especially coming out of a timeskip.

Word Count: 753