19

diana had decided she was ready to do a televised interview, i was going to prepare her for it. i put my camera on and began to record. "right, make sure you don't look at the camera, wonder your eyes around a little bit, but don't look directly," i explained. "okay," she nodded. however, she found it hard to concentrate in front of an uninvited audience. "can i watch this," William asked as he opened the door. "oh," diana groaned. "please," william pleaded. "if you come in here you sit down and you be quiet," Diana explained. "you've got to be very quiet," i agreed.

"very quiet," diana repeated. william and harry were 11 and 9 at the time. "don't touch it william, it's all focused on me," diana pleaded. I smiled at william, making sure it didn't feel too uncomfortable. "okay, let's pretend, okay? so, you're royal highness, you're currently focusing very much on your charity work. would you like to tell us why you feel it's so important to you," I asked. "i've told you, mia, it's because i've got nothing else to do," She wheezed out a laugh, making me smile. "that was a recording," william scolded.

"sorry, sorry," Diana chuckled. "take two," harry called. "obviously i come across a-" Diana began but got interrupted as harry began laughing. "harry, shush" diana scolded. "i come across a great- um- a great deal of people who- it's so difficult i can't even string my words together," she groaned. "well, it's really hard. you've got two of the most impossible people sitting here," i chuckled. "exactly, harry, shush," William scolded. "shush, harry, sit down," diana rolled her eyes. "hey! he only laughed once, we're not going to attack harry," i glared. "whose side are you on" diana glared.

"the youngest child that the two of you are ganging up on," i rolled my eyes as harry came and sat on my lap. "you are awful," diana rolled her eyes. "it's good practice" i defended. "okay, now what would you want to be if you weren't who you are, if you weren't the princess of wales," i asked her. "i'd like to have a role which- a role which brought me into contact with everyday life and the man on the street. does that sound condescending," she asked. "you can elaborate that a bit more. so if you weren't the princess of wales. what would you be doing," i repeated.

"um...well i'd like to be in a position where i can listen to people, maybe share the- um share know- share knowledge," she stuttered. "mhm," i hummed in response. "some sort, like counselling or something," she explained. "so counselling you find interesting," i asked. "i enjoy enormously talking one to one with people," she told me. "and you're doing this frequently" i asked. "yes," she nodded. "what particular aspect of that do you enjoy the most," i asked. "i like to draw out the darker parts of people" she explained. "why the darker parts," i raised an eyebrow. "because normally the people i've met are afraid to share it with me or with anyone and i think it helps by tapping onto it," she continued.

diana was changing and so were her causes that she chose to support.