13

it had been two years and i'd had another child, diana's announcement of her second child had come. by now, we all knew that charles had gone back to his lady, but, somehow they'd managed to have harry. my eldest and william were the best of friends, the queen didn't approve of me spending such time with the heir, but william called me his aunt, it wasn't all up to them, william treat my new-born james like a little brother, he was so excited to hear i was having a son.

diana and charles were very very close to each other the six weeks before harry was born, i think that was quite possibly the closest they'd ever been and probably will ever be. but that had all gone down the drain as soon as harry was born.

i sat opposite diana as we drank our tea. "charles wanted harry to be a girl, he won't even look at me," Diana looked at the ground. "how do you know," i asked. "his first comment was 'oh god it's a boy' second comment 'oh! and he's even got red hair," she explained. "and how do you feel? i thought you two were getting on so well," i asked. "something inside me has completely closed off," she shook her head. "diana, you deserve so much better, i think you need to call it quits," i sighed. "i know," she told me. "he's told the queen about my bulimia and she's gone and told everybody that it's the reason that our marriage had cracked up—because diana's eating must be so difficult for charles," diana told me. "and you still have to make public appearances," i asked. "of course," she shrugged.

"i'd gone to the hospital, to visits the ward that specialised with HIV, this particular man looked so ill...he started crying when i sat on his bed and i just thought 'right diana, do it, go on, just do it," diana told me. "and i just gave him an enormous hug and clung onto me as he cried and it was just wonderful, we made him laugh," she continued. "see, di, that's good, you're doing so much good in such a dark time, you have things to smile about," i told her. "i'm like my mother, though. however bloody you're feeling, you can put an amazing show of happiness," she sighed. "you've got things to be happy for and you're such an amazing mother diana," i promised. "oh i love you," she sniffled, pulling me into a hug. "i love you" i chuckled. "no one's ever been there for me like you have," she sighed. "i know," i nodded with a smile.