Chapter Eight

Sixth Year

The next day after classes and dinner, Ronnie found herself waiting patiently outside the great hall, where she and Regulus agreed to meet for their prefect duties. She had checked her watch for what she felt the millionth time, seeing that he was indeed, almost thirty minutes late. Not only did she not want to do prefect duties with Sirius' little brother, she especially didnt want to do it on her mother's birthday. All it did was bring up bad memories for her and it was especially hard when Remus liked to act as if it was a regular day.

She let out a small sigh as she continued to balance on her feet when she heard bellows of laughter coming towards her. Her head whipped up to see Regulus walking towards her with Evan, Alecto and Barty Jr in tow.

"How nice of you to show up." Ronnie rudely interrupted the group's chatter when they had stopped a foot away from her.

"At least I'm here." Regulus shrugged her off as his three friends tried to stifle their laughter.

"Have fun with your ridiculous prefect partner, we will see you later Reg." Alecto grinned at him before walking away.

Regulus watched as his friends left before finally turning to look at Veronica, "Oh lighten up, I showed up didnt I?"

"A half-hour late! I had things I could have been doing instead of waiting for you." Ronnie scowled at him as he gave another shrug, only infuriating her more.

"Whatever, let's get on with it." Ronnie said, dropping the subject as she began to walk down the hall, Regulus following quickly after her. The two walked in silence for a while, before going up the stairs to the fifth floor.

"So are you just going to ignore me now? Because I was late?" Regulus prodded as she shrugged, "Maybe I have to ignore you for thirty minutes to make up for it."

Regulus let out a laugh at her response before nodding as they turned another corner.

"Want to hear a secret?" Regulus hummed as she turned to look at his smirking face, "A secret?"

"Yeah."

"Why would you tell me a secret? It's not like we're friends." Ronnie asked as he fake held his heart in pain, "You sting me Lupin... Barty used to have a crush on you. He told me today."

"Really? Thats your secret?" Ronnie quirked a brow as he nodded, "Yeah, I've known about that since the fourth year and Sirius and James hexed him in the hallway until he couldn't stand."

"Ah, thats what that was about... I remember that but never knew why my brother attacked Barty like that." Regulus shrugged as Ronnie hummed, not knowing what else to say any more on the subject.

The two continued to walk in silence once again, as Ronnie took side looks at Regulus, finding his silence now almost uncomfortable.

"You're lucky, y'know." Regulus spoke up as she gave him a questioning look, "And why is that?"

"You got the brotherly side of Sirius I never got. It must be nice." Regulus bitterly spat out as Ronnie let out a sigh, knowing exactly where this was going.

"Are you going to forever blame me for the relationship you have with your brother?" Ronnie finally asked, stopping in place as she looked up at him.

"What are you talking about? I have never blamed you for the relationship Sirius and I have." Regulus spoke, shaking his head at her as she scowled up at him.

"Don't think, for one second Regulus, that I have missed all the sly remarks you have made about me since Sirius and I became close. I'm sorry that you two don't have a good relationship but that isn't my fault. Every remark you make about Sirius always becomes a dig at me and frankly, I am sick of it." Ronnie spluttered out as Regulus raised his brows in surprise.