Thirteen: Mr. Hutchins

It was eleven-thirty at midnight. I was alone in the streets, and I had an important mission - a very important one.

I followed the man in black as he turned right on the street, careful to keep out of sight. If I made even just one slight noise, I would be done for.

Killed, even.

I watched as the man in black entered Luxes Estate, barely aware that someone was tailing him.

I hid behind a tree as the man entered the mansion on the right, and I took a look at the lot. Trees, bushes, a lawn, and a huge house.

That was all I needed to know. I snapped the picture of the place, then got out of there immediately.

Mission accomplished - for now.

I now knew exactly where the Goon lived.

But that wasn't it. I came up with a plan.

The next day I went to pick up my freshly painted van. I had to get a new paint job if I wanted my plan to work.

I handed the cashier a hundred bucks, sighing. We're not even on the hard part yet. I grabbed the change and got in the van.

I drove all the way to the department store and picked up all the things I needed, checked out, then headed straight to Harvey's. There were Harvey and Sabrina, together hanging out in Harvey's room. 

"You feeling better?" Harvey asked as I dropped the bags on the floor.

I frowned. So he wasn't joking after all. I sat on the couch. "We need to talk. I need your help... whether you understand it or not."

"I'm all ears," Sabrina said. "That's what friends are for, right?"

I grabbed Harvey's camera from the bookshelf. "Let's start from the very beginning. What happened to grandpa?"

"The Goon shot him," Harvey said.

"Good. Where?" I asked, fidgeting the camera.

"Crumps?"

I nodded. "Where's Crumps?"

Harvey winced. "Here in Neon City!"

"No! Westdale!" I told Harvey.

Harvey frowned. "Here we go again."

"You might've forgotten somehow... but, either way, you have to know. Believe it or not, this is the truth. We've been through all this," I said. "I swear." 

Harvey and Sabrina exchanged glances, then looked back at me.

"Westdale is just like Neon City, guys," I started. "It had Crumps, Town Creek, the stadium, the boardwalk... exactly the same. It just wasn't futuristic, it didn't have neon lights at night and supercars, hoverboards." I paused.

"Go on..." Sabrina said, thinking.

I turned to Harvey. "Remember how dad was shot, Harvey? The night we had a show with the Leftovers?"

"Yeah," Harvey nodded. "At the hall? Here at Neon City?"

I humphed, dropped the camera on the couch, and looked out into the window. He was switching Westdale with Neon City! "What are the odds that both of you lost your memory of Westdale, both at the same time?" I said.

Harvey shook his head. "No. What are the odds that this Westdale exists? Before? Like you said?" 

I stood up, frustrated at both of them. "Look, let me get this to both of you straight. We were at Westdale, not Neon City. We just arrived here a few days ago. Get it?"