Six: Threat

"I thought you were on a sleepover at Harvey's!" mom practically yelled.

I scratched my head. I had to fess up. "It was just an excuse to sneak out."

Mom sat back, snorting. "You smartypants. But you could've been killed!" mom said, voice lowered.

"Okay, I'm sorry!" I said, although I winced. That Goon won't just kill me. He wants to torture me before I die, I thought.

Mom frowned. "And... who in the world is that 'girlfriend' you were talking about?!"
I flushed.

"Oh. You're in love, aren't you?"

I shook my head quickly. "I tried to disguise myself, but dad caught me..."

"Really. Seems more like you're disguising yourself now," mom grinned. "There's nothing to hide, Alex."

"Mom! I'm not in love, okay? ...Although she's okay. But Harvey's the one who has a crush on her." 

"What's her name again? Some girl named Sienna?"

I almost laughed. "No! Sabrina!"

"Yeah okay, whatever," mom rolled her eyes. "Anyway, your father told me to deal with you."

I shrunk behind the sofa, ready to receive a lifetime ground.

"And we've talked a little bit, and I think..." mom raised a finger, "you and Harvey and Scarlett did great."

I smiled. We did great! Did you hear that?! The Scarlett part's completely wrong, but...

WE DID GREAT!! GREAT!!

I opened my mouth to say something, but mom raised her hand and started speaking. "I'll let it slip this once, because you have probably saved the town. But, the next time it happens..."

I nodded. "I'm screwed."

Mom nodded back, grinning. "Now, let's prepare dinner. Your father will be home in..." mom looked at her watch, "around one hour."

I helped mom around the kitchen, and to be honest, I was kinda surprised mom wasn't all that angry at us for sneaking out.

One hour later, everything was set. But still no dad.

One and a half-hour later, still no.

That's when my phone rang - the phone call of doom. "Alex!" Harvey yelled through the phone. I had a bad feeling about where this was going.

Mom looked at me, eyes all worried.

"Turn on the TV!!" Harvey shouted.

Oh no, I thought. Please don't let it be about dad.

I ran to the couch, grabbed the remote, and smashed the power button. I stared at the TV, heart racing. I read the headlines: 'Multiple gunshots fired on North-east Expressway.'

Shoot. That's exactly where dad is. "Gunshots?!" I yelled to Harvey on the phone.

Mom gasped from behind me. "Gunshots?!" she repeated, turning her attention to the TV.The reporter on TV started talking. "An hour ago a gunner, also called as the "Dark Goon", was reported arrested, with thanks to three young teens."

Where's the part about the gunshots?! I thought. "I'll call you back later," I told Harvey, then hung up without even waiting for his goodbye.

"While the Goon was being escorted to Glenn Jail, a black SUV attacked the convoy. Four armed men started shooting. Apparently, they knew which van to attack, and they broke into the van with the Goon and set him free."