1. Same old, same old

"Morning Mr

"Morning Mr. Barber." I said, bringing him his coffee.

"Y/n it's been seven months, I told you not to call me Mr. Barber anymore." He said.

"I'm a tad bit intimidated by you still. I mean you do now own your own law firm." I said.

"That's not gonna change my personality. And you're another lawyer here, not my assistant." He said as he sipped his coffee. "Thank you so much for this by the way."

"Yeah it's not a problem. You heading out at all today?" I asked.

"I don't know yet. I'm still waiting on a call." He said.

"Okay." I said and sat at my desk. I sipped on my own coffee.

I scrolled through emails and made some calls. A few minutes later Andy's son burst into the building.

"Buddy, you're supposed to be at school." Andy said to him.

"I'm so tired of mom, I talked back to her this morning so she sent me here so that apparently 'you can deal with me.' It's bullshit."

"Hey language. But it's not my week," Andy said.

I wasn't one to normally eavesdrop. But I did know that Andy and his former wife Laurie had gotten a divorce a few months ago. I knew because I was Andy's lawyer.

That's how I got this job. He liked how I worked.

We had gone out for the occasional drink after work. He had explained to me what was going on with his life. He always asked about mine and I never gave it to him.

The thing was, well, I had a very boring life compared to his. I mean he had been through hell and back.

"I'm just so tired of this. How did you not get full custody of me?" he asked.

"It would make it look like she purposefully did it Jacob." Andy said. "I'll take you to your tutors house."

"No please." Jacob said. "I think I should stay here for the day. It's online stuff today. I could stay here."

"Jake. I don't want you losing focus."

"What's the loss of focus here? Your smoking hot partner?" Jacob asked. I snickered.

"Now we're really going." Andy said.

"No. I'll walk it's okay. Hi y/n." Jacob said.

"Hi Jacob. Go to your tutors for the rest of this week and you can spend the day with me here on Friday." I said.

"Really?" He asked.

"Y/n." Andy said.

"Maybe. I will have to talk to your dad about it. Just go." I said.

"Bye!" He said. He walked out and Andy pulled a small smile up to his face. He hadn't smiled much lately. I loved to see it.

I had to admit, the man was attractive. He was sarcastic, he had a certain way of doing everything. But it was nothing more than a work crush.

"That kid is definitely mine," Andy said.

"He's a keeper I tell you." I said. He sighed and smiled.

I watched as his face softened. He looked at me as I leaned on my desk. His long eyelashes slowly fluttering.

"You okay?" I asked him. He nodded.

"I just think sometimes." He said.

"Think about?" I asked.

"Just about what would happen if he didn't wake up. But I think he's almost using you as more of a mother figure." He said.

"I'm okay with that." I said.

"Yeah but y/n I mean you're my colleague. I don't want to bring my personal life into your workplace and I don't know what happens out of here for you." He said. I smirked at him.

"You wanna go out for lunch?" I asked.

"I mean yeah." He said.

"Perfect. I'll drive." I said.

"Is everything okay?" He asked.

"You're tense, you need your mind off of your own life, so I'll tell you about mine." I said.

"Finally." He said as he put on his coat. I slipped mine on, it looked a lot like his but more feminine.

I grabbed my purse and walked out with him. We both got into my car.

As we were driving, Andy turned down the music.

"Okay I want some answers now. Can I ask you specifics?" He asked.

"Sure." I said as I continued driving. I looked at him for a brief moment before back on the road.

"When's your birthday?" He asked.

"April 26th." I said.

"So you're a Taurus?" He asked.

"How do you know about zodiacs?" I asked.

"Studied it in college." He said.

"Ahh." I replied.

"That's coming up soon though. How old are you going to be?" He asked.

"33." I said. He smiled.

"Ahh so you're a big girl now." He said.

"The fuck does that mean Andrew?"

"You called me Mr. Barber this morning. And now Andrew? Wow." He said.

I rolled my eyes and pulled into the diner.

"Let's go Barber." I said.

...................................
"So if you're life is actually so boring I wanna know why." Andy said. I sipped on my drink and looked at him.

"I grew up in Boston, I live alone. I have a cat named Star. I love plants." I said.

"I wanna see this house cause you've been to mine. Family? Boyfriend? Girlfriend? Anyone?" He asked.

"I'm an only child. Parents died in a car accident when I was nineteen. I was in law school, thought I should drop out but decided not to or I would've gone insane. I have dated a few people here and there over the last fifteen years but no one ever clicked." I said.

"Y/n I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hit a soft spot. Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine. They decided to go to a bar together, both of them were drunk. They hit a huge tree while going off the highway. They died on impact and didn't hurt anyone else involved. Case closed." I said.

He looked at me with soft eyes.

"I don't want sympathy." I said.

"Is that why you're so nice to Jacob?" He asked.

"He's an only child, and he almost died in a car crash." I said and shrugged my shoulders.

"Virgin?" He asked.

"Andy!" I said.

"It's a good question! I mean you know I'm not cause I have a kid but I just wanna know." He said.

"No not a virgin, I lost mine at a college frat party to a boy that was playing the guitar my junior year. I dragged him and lost it just so that I could say I did. And there's been a few hookups here and there." I said.

"Hmm. Y/n L/n I feel that there is much more to crack open about you." He said.

"I feel that you won't ever get to know." I said.

"Sweetheart I'm a lawyer. I cant crack open anyone." He said.

That pet name made me weak.

"I'm a lawyer too. You're never gonna see me in my vulnerability." I said. He smirked and took a sip of his beer.

"We will see." He said.