Chapter fourteen- Kyra

Kyra stretched as the sunlight filtered through the window to her left. Twirl and Milo were out cold, so she decided that she'd take a look around. As she left her room, she was greeted by Zireene, the employee who had greeted them the day before.

"Good morning! Where might you be going?" She asked, with a smile. Kyra explained that she was just going out for some fresh air.

She opened the door, and was greeted by the scents of food, flowers, and other plants. The streets were hustling and bustling with phoenixes, so it was hard to avoid being trampled on. Just like my old home.

She walked around the area, hoping to find any type of bench to sit on. As she passed the different clothed market entrances, she found a small picnic table to sit and look around on. She walked into the entrance which said "Apple Canary Market." The grass crunched under her talons as she walked over to the bench. As she sat down, she remembered that she had forgotten to call for Rosie, who was probably still in the forest, looking out for anything unsafe.

Hopefully this still works even though we're so far apart. Heed my call! -Mana Surge- ROSIE! The market is quiet for a while, probably because of her Curse activating.

Everyone had a certain amount of Mana within them; that was how Phoenixes had different Elements; the strongest is Ice Mana; this is used as a battle weapon. You can cool the air molecules around yourself to make a hunk of ice as big as you like and shoot it out like a spear. This is also called the strongest because the phoenixes who use it don't need much Mana to control this; it takes less than a sliver to make any single piece of ice, making the amount of ice you use taking up less than the mana that's regenerating. This means that the use of the ice is practically unlimited. Next right after Ice Mana would be Earth Mana; Earth Mana was used for mending the earth and often used for making houses or buildings. The second after that would be Fire Mana; used to make fires and destroy any enemies in its path. It can also be used to mend fire; for example, if there was a fire starting near your home, you could easily use your Mending and move it somewhere safe. It may seem not very possible, but, the way you would do it would be to focus and use your own mana to communicate with the molecules that make up the fire, and tell them to move somewhere safe. The one next after Fire would be Water Mana. This is used for the worst case scenario: the fire is so bad that the Fire Mana users can't reach the molecule's minds. They can mend Water just like the Fire Mana users would, except that they use it for getting water from the rivers for the villagers who lived inside the village. The one after that would be the last, and the weakest, Snow Mana. The people who have the type of mana to use it just makes it snow and cools the earth if the snow is late to arrive in the Snow Season.

Kyra, on the other hand, has what's called a 'curse.' Her 'curse' is that she has the most rare element. The bad part isn't that its' rare, it's that it's forbidden to use and have in the first place. Most other Cursed would be executed. She was locked inside the forest instead, and, until someone came to the Lake, she would be trapped forever. Even worse, the only way she would be safe was if that someone liked her and made her laugh. That laugh would be what triggered the lock to unlock. Whenever she used any of her mana, time would pause for a few seconds. Her element is what's called "Time Mana." One of the side effects is protection against any mana set on her. The other is that whenever she uses a different type of element of her own, time pauses for a few moments.

What triggered her misery was that her village was destroyed and then a group of foxes came and took her away. By the time she came back, they had thought she was the cause of her town being destroyed because of her 'curse.' The survivors decided to lock her in the forest, and her parents didn't even lift a talon to help her.