Chap 1 (Tokugawa's background)

Tokugawa pov: I was born into a life of poverty, I am an only child, my name is Hirai Chiharu, my father who used to be a samurai, trained by his father, was renowned and many people came to the village just to visit him for advice for fighting. The village that I had lived in was not prosperous as people were leaving to go to the capital to find better jobs, some stayed most left. Suddenly our village renovated by the authorities, and authorised by the emperor, to increase settlements in our area. And so the golden age of our village happened, it was the best time as many people had built housing and administrative buildings which allowed for more to come for job opportunities. When I had turned to the age of 13 my father, said that I had to train to become a great samurai like him. I was not very into fighting people as I had a very shy and quiet personality, but I was willing to do what my father had told me. I trained relentlessly, for 9 hours a day practicing on a miniature version of a katana sword made of bamboo, which after my father thought when i was comfortable with wielding one, he allowed for me to use his layana for training, which had been made by my grandfather's father. I tried on the armour my father had worn when he was training. When I was walking down the marketplace a merchant ship with Europeans, came down and set up shop in our market square, they showed off weapons we had never seen before, I had purchased what they had called a Mauser rifle. It wasn't the quietest of my ranged weapons but it was good for hunting out in the wild. My father seeing me with my new rifle, snatched it out of my hands saying that European merchandise was not to be trusted. It told him that the rifle was powerful and could take out deer with a single shot to the head. My father not convinced said that we need to be stealthy and to not cause a commotion as a samurai. I obeyed my father's words but when he was not around, I would seldom take out my rifle to go hunting as it was one of my favourite past times. I would sometimes go out and sell the skin for some money. Eventually i had saved up enough money to buy myself new armour from the blacksmith down at the market place, my father proud of what I had gotten asked how i had gotten so much money in a period of  time, I said i had gone hunting out in the wilderness, he patted me on the back saying that my ranged skill has improved sonce last time, but I felt a bit guilty as i ised the rifle he had told me not to. Some time has passed since then, I am now 19, and my father is already frail and aged so I could not train with him anymore, I spend time training with my father's katana which is now mine and I would normally train with a tree stump. Other times when I was not training I would walk down and up the market place seeing what was on sale that I was interested in. That night, I was hunting out in the wilderness planning on bringing back the skin to sell and the meat to feed my family, I heard rustling and a shadowy figure up on top of a nearby hill, he looked ragged and very dirty as if he had not been able to groom himself day to day. He looked like a soldier from the imperial army, and back at home at the military outpost at the village rhey said to capture any soldiers that arrive near or close to the village. I crouched down using the nearby shrubs and bushes to conceal myself I was going to use the butt of ky rifle and try to knock him out. The figure leaned on a tree as if he was tired, I knew it was my chance to strike. I hit him in the back of his head he had his eyes open for a while but then slowly fell to the ground. I walked approaching slowly towards the figure. I inspected him and looked in his pockets I saw a journal detailing his daily life and what he had done. I saw that the person I had knocked out was barely 17, and was probably a volunteer. I picked up the corpse and carried him back to the village. As I was bringing the corpse back everyone eyed me saying the body and me carrying it. I wasn't used to being exposed like this so I felt embarrassed. I talked to one of my superiors which was also a close friend of my father who was running the military administration said that I should come back when the figure was awake and that I was dismissed for now. The next day, I saw that he had woken up and I informed my superiors, they said that I should be the one to interrogate him as I was the one who found and captured him. I saw his face he looked defeated and hungry, but I knew that the interrogation had to come first. He looked up confused and asking why he was tied up. I started off with a few questions, such as "Why are you here and why were you lurking around the outskirts of our city, "I was looking for civilisation and was brought here." "Do you have any information on this person." His face told it all he did not know who it was and even shook his head as I asked the question. I left the room saying to my superiors that he wasn't trying to spy on us but rather trying to survive and find people. My superiors told me that I could wait till tomorrow to interrogate him again. I obeyed but I knew that the state of the person wasn't very good. So I untied him and brought him to a nearby inn and bought a room for him to lay down and rest in. The next day, I was working on a plan in the military out post on my own and saw that the soldier had came here. He said that he was grateful that I wasn't too harsh and that I was not abusive or controlling I blushed as I have not seen a person thank me for interrogating them. I invited him out to lunch, he politely declined and asked for me to accompany him to walk down the market place road while on our walk we joked and chattered for the rest of our journey. "So what's your name?" I asked curious. He replied, "Harada Eiko," I introduced myself to him but he said that he had already found out about my name. While on our down the road a building was burning down. I was hesitant and wanted to save it's occupants however, Eiko wanted to save them and he volunteered I let him go as I paced around waiting for him to come back. He eventually came back out covered in ash he coughed and said, "It's not that big of a deal."