Chapter 20

Faiz's POV:

Layla looked so damn hot, it wasn't even funny.

The innocent way she would tuck her hair behind her ear or bite her lips in thought and embarrassment was so hot. I have never been as attracted to any girl as I was to her tonight.

Throughout the dinner, I would always catch her glancing at me, rolling her eyes after she realized I caught her looking, and then looking away quickly.

Cute.

This is the girl you're going to end up marrying.

And I was completely down for it.

When we came upstairs to change into our gifted clothes, I was sure my eyes popped out of their damn sockets. If she looked hot before, then after wearing my mother's dress, she looked drop-dead gorgeous. This woman's effortless beauty, with or without makeup, always amazed me.

The dinner went on as normal, our families laughing and teasing us the whole night, especially when I gave Layla my gift to her; her engagement ring.

She loved it, and I knew she would, as Reyna had helped me pick it out two days ago. If anyone knew Layla's taste in jewelry, it was Reyna. I had given Reyna a silent high five as a 'thank you' while Layla's family appraised the ring.

Reyna looked so smug and full of herself, though, that I almost regretted doing it.

By dessert, our parents finally set the wedding date, which was to be in four months. Layla looked shocked, and I was worried. Was this sooner than she wanted it to be? I made a mental note to find out, fast, so that I could get our parents to change it if it was.

After dinner, our parents told us to go for a walk in Auntie's garden.

Very insistently, may I add.

The air was crisp and cool, and the sound of crickets chirping filled in the silence. The moon illuminated the trees and the grass in a way that the small lamps in the garden never could.

"You're okay with the dates, right?" I ask her hesitantly, looking down at her to see her twisting and admiring her engagement ring, the lights from the lamps reflecting off of the diamond on her ring.

Her admiring her ring like it was one of her most prized possessions made me so happy.

She glances up at me quickly and nods. Her cheeks are flushed a faint pink. God, her blushes are driving me crazy.

Our parents had set the date of our Nikkah for four months from now, on January 28. The Baraat would happen on the same day.

Layla's mother is hosting a Dholki at their house for Layla's friends, aunts, and female cousins on the 25th. Then, we'll have our Haldi function separately on the 26th, and then the Mehendi function together on the 27th. The 28th is the big day, the day of the Nikkah and Baraat. And then lastly, the 29th will be the day of the Walimah function, which my family will be hosting as a reception dinner.

"Yes, Faiz, it's fine with me, it's just crazy to me how we're getting married, and the dates are set. This feels so much more... real now. Like, we're actually getting married!" 

I laugh and shake my head in amusement. This girl is so damn cute.

I think that was the night I promised myself that I would never let anything happen to her.

<<>>><<>><<>>

"Faiz Bhai! Are you still sleeping?"

"No, Reyna, I'm not. Come in," I respond, finishing up my email as my little sister walks into my room.