Chapter 3

Itha-baal, Grouche and all in the stateroom bowed in varying degrees of acknowledgement. The princess knew instinctively that her father only bowed to people he wanted to impress and make them feel important. Ahab responded with a brief wave of his hand, more as a plea to stop than as a sign of acknowledgement. Ahab was a warrior King through and through. He appreciated the salutes of his men and felt most comfortable when on his charger in the field preparing for battle. All the pomp and ceremony of the court didn't impress him much.

After the exchange of the normal pleasantries and gifts, Ithobaal had already summed up the young Israelite King. He could see that this suntanned warrior was starting to feel claustrophobic in the confines of the palace walls. He anticipated this and it was one of the reasons he had asked his daughter to be present at today's negotiations. He knew she certainly wasn't pleased to be in the company of the Gadararean envoy, who was now chomping at the bit and eager to continue with his negotiations with the Phoenician King. The surprise and interest of the arrival of the Israelite king, had now worn off. So in a move that would accommodate everyone, Ithobaal turned to the Princess and suggested that before they all cleaned up in preparation for the evening celebration, she take Ahab on a tour of the palace and grounds so that the Israelite King could stretch his legs after the long journey.

Itha-baal, instead of walking around the palace gardens, led the way out through the palace grounds and down a winding path that led to the sea. She really thought that the last thing this rough looking king would be interested in, would be looking at pretty flowers. She was completely correct in her assumption. The nearer they got to sea, the more Ahab relaxed. The ocean fascinated him. Coming from a place where water was scarce and dictated the way of life of his people, to see this vast expanse of water was incredible.

Something else started to intrigue him. He had hardly noticed the king's daughter while in the stateroom. Her appearance made her look like a court prop, much on the lines of the other large busts and statues that adorned the palace. He had given her no more interest than the beautiful ferns and exotic palms that adorned the palace passages. Itha-baal normally, and as was the custom, would have walked alongside any visiting dignitaries, but today, mainly because she couldn't tolerate the horse smell that was still emanating from Ahab, and the fact that the narrow path didn't allow for two people to comfortably walk side by side, she had chosen to walk ahead and lead the way.

At first Ahab was mesmerised by the sea vistas that unfolded before him. As they neared the beach not only the scenic views but the sounds and the smells, attacked his senses. When they started their walk, all he had wanted to do was to return to his men who had accompanied him and his horse, but now he found himself enjoying the outing. He also realised that the stateroom prop who accompanied him was turning out to be a real live person. The princess-statue who had stood so straight and tall was now merrily strolling along, sometimes hopping from stone to stone when the pathway became rocky. He was also surprised to hear the princess humming to herself.

Itha-baal was enjoying herself. The Israelite king was very quiet and didn't initiate or demand any  conversation. The further they walked, the more she forgot about him and became completely engrossed in her surroundings. When they were nearly at the bottom of the path, she veered off through the shrubbery and led them to an outcrop of rock that protruded out over a small inlet. The swells rolled in and washed against the rocks beneath the outcrop, sometimes sending a foamy spray shooting back into the inlet. The Princess came here often. She could sit for hours with her legs dangling over the rocky outcrop, watching the activity of the marine life below, both in the water and on the rocks. Most times the sea was clear enough to see small fish darting here and there and sea creatures like octopi gliding along the bottom. The rocks on either side of the small wash were covered in mussels and other mollusc creatures. Hundreds of crabs would scurry down to the water level only to dash up the rock as the next swell tried to engulf them.

Itha-baal stood on the edge of the outcrop gleefully pointing out things of interest. Ahab smiled as he feigned interest in the marine life. This young princess was becoming far more interesting. Strong and brave as he was, he had a healthy respect for the sea. He had swum in the Jordan River but he could see that this mass of water with its huge swells and breaking waves was a whole new ball game. So when Itha-baal pointed out something that she wanted him to look at, standing behind her, not to be too near the edge, he would step slightly to the side and peer over her shoulder.

"Look at that fish, isn't it beautiful? "
" Where? "
" The one with all the colours"
"Still can't see it, what's it called?"
"I don't know its proper name... I just call it the Rainbow fish. Ooh! look there it is"

Ahab was determined to see this colourful fish, so he bent over as far as he dared. The fish turned and started to swim under the ledge. Itha-baal determined to follow the disappearing Rainbow fish, did not realise that she was defying the laws of gravity. Turning slightly, to see if the slipshod king was actually taking an interest in her activity, she was shocked to find his face right next to hers. Their bodies never actually touched but the electricity generated by their close proximity was sufficient to have the princess suddenly jerk away, sending her, arms flailing, into the sea water below.

Ahab stood there dumbstruck. Also thinking the worst. How would he explain the princess's death to her father? A few seconds passed. Then the princess surfaced, gasping at first mainly because of the sudden entry into the cold water but quickly regaining her composure, she swam the few strokes that would bring her directly under the ledge. Looking up at the King, she exclaimed.
"You pushed me."
Ahab was pleased to see the princess looking none the worse for wear but quite annoyed at the accusation. He answered.
"I did not"
"You surely did."
"On my oath I did not."
"Oh, whatever. Are you going to stand there all day arguing or are you going to help me out?"

Ahab quickly unbuckled his sword belt and unclipped his riding cape. Kneeling down he stretched out his hand. The outcrop was about a metre high above the water. Ahab's arm wasn't long enough. Itha-baal looked around at the swells rolling in. She waited until the nearest swell lifted her in the water. Kicking with all her might she rose high enough out of the water to grasp hold of Ahab's outstretched hand. Immediately he grabbed hold of her and she felt a strange sensation flow through her body. Many men had held her hand in greeting but never before had she experienced this feeling.

Ahab started to pull her up from the water. His strength made the task look easy. Itha-baal's feet left the water and she used her toes to help her ascent by clambering up the rockface. To continue lifting the princess up, Ahab stood up but still had to bend over forward as she ascended up from the water.

As Itha-baal came up the rock, something came over her. A mischievous smile played over her face. She bent her knees and then with a hefty kick, still holding Ahab's hand, pushed away from the rock. The look on Ahab's face as he started his head-first dive into the water, widened the smile on Itha-baal's lips as she herself fell back into the water. Ahab catapulted over her head, landing in the water behind her. When she surfaced, still smiling, she found Ahab coughing and spluttering with a distressed expression on his face. She swam nearer.
"Are you alright?" she asked.
Her answer came in the form of a splash of water in her face. When she had wiped the salt water from her eyes, she saw Ahab smiling at her. They glared at each other in mock anger, only to break into laughter and chase each other, trying to out-splash each other. When they had exhausted themselves, Ahab asked,
"How do we get out of the water? The rocks are too steep"
"We have to swim round to the beach," Itha-baal answered.
They swam leisurely out the small inlet, around the rocks and waded out the water onto the nearest stretch of sand. They followed the path back to the rocky outcrop where Ahab retrieved his sword belt and cloak. The sun was warm but Itha-baal was shivering. Ahab draped his cloak around her. He did this not only to warm her but also as a gesture of propriety as her silken gown was now completely transparent. The sight of her body, the wet garment doing nothing to hide it, stirred something inside the King.

They started back.
"This is not the way we came" said Ahab.
"I know. This path is wider and we can walk alongside each other. It's a bit longer but that will give us more time to dry." As Itha-baal answered, she linked her arms into Ahab's and walking by his side, babbled away merrily. She noticed that the 'horsey' smell had nearly all disappeared. It must have been their romp in the seawater that washed it away. This made their proximity all the more pleasant.