Chapter 9

The three months since King Ahab left Tyre had gone quickly. Ahab had been busy. There were matters of state that needed tending. He hated that part of his job but there was some relief. He attended the induction of new recruits to his army. The celebrations included a display of swordmanship and mock fighting. Ahab chose to sit on his battle charger and watch the proceedings, instead of in the stands. When the induction ceremony was over, he gave the animal free reign and spent the next few hours galloping over the hills and countryside, stopping only when both he and his charger needed a drink.

They stopped by a stream. He dismounted. Both animal and human drank side by side. When they had had their fill, Ahab broke off some dry grass and brushed the sweat off the sides of the horse, who proceeded to munch on the greener shrubs growing by the stream.

Ahab's thoughts wandered and he found himself standing alone with a hand full of grass poised in mid-air. The charger had moved on along down the stream. He laughed to himself and casting the grass aside, lay down on the ground with his head under a leafy bush for shade.

His mind drifted to the events at Tyre, three months ago. His announcement in the banquet hall caused quite a stir. His men and some of the guests cheered. They liked the idea. King Ithobaal had stormed out of the hall. The scribes had gathered up the documents, not knowing what was going on, and if there would be a signing or not. Itha-baal looked one way then the other. Did she hear correctly, did Ahab want to marry her? Eventually she ran after her father.

Ahab knew no-one of importance was going to talk to him, much less sign agreements, so he informed his men to pack and ready the horses. They would leave on the morrow before the sun rose.

Ahab's thoughts were brought down to earth by a spider. It had started to crawl up his neck and now started up his face. This was a game to him. He desperately wanted to scratch his skin where the spider's legs tickled him. He was determined to hold out, but when the spider tried to enter his nose, he jumped up shouting 'you win, you win,' and swatted the spider to the floor. He tried to think again of Tyre and Itha-baal, but the moment had gone. He mounted his charger and set a pace that would bring him back just before dark.

                      ~~~~~~~~

Three months ago in Tyre, Ithobaal stormed into his chambers, completely confused. He liked the Israelite King but why couldn't he conduct business like a normal person? Why did he have to make such a dramatic performance of everything? Chasing everyone from his chambers he sank into a comfortable chair. He probably wouldn't sleep tonight.

A knock at the door brought a response of "Go away!"
A soft female voice made its way into the room.
"It's me father."
The King got up and opened the door, just a little. He didn't let his daughter speak but immediately asked the question.
"Do you love him?"
The Princess was taken by surprise and fumbled the answer.
"Err yes, I mean I think so, perhaps, O I don't know!"
Her father just shook his head and as he closed the door, he muttered,
"You're no help."

                         ~~~~~~~

Ahab heard through the grapevine that Ithobaal was planning to send a caravan of carts and pack-horses carrying precious garments dyed in purple to interested Kings, whose kingdoms lay inland. The old fool, Ahab thought. If he, Ahab, heard about the trip, then so did every thief and cut-throat for miles around. One thing was certain, the goods would never reach their destination.

Ahab was in a quandary. Must he help the old stubborn king and perhaps have a better chance to right things with his daughter? She did occupy his thoughts on long lonely nights. But then he would have to enlist more men and endanger their lives.

Or should he forget all about the Phoenicians and concentrate on expanding his kingdom by conquering the enemies  surrounding him? The thought of charging into battle, feeling the strength and power of his charger beneath him and to hear his men's battle cries, sounds that sent shivers down his spine, made Ahab feel alive. He was born to do battle.

                       ~~~~~~~~~~

Ithobaal stood on the balcony facing the road out the city. The road was full of spectators watching the long line of horses and carts leaving the city.
He had mixed feelings. He was excited about this new venture. Trade with new customers was good for his coffers. Unfortunately the new customers were situated inland in countries and districts along routes his traders had never travelled before. Travelling by road was new to the Phoenicians. Up to now they conducted their trade by sea, their ships being their mode of transport.

Suddenly, a huge commotion in the streets caused the King to come out of his thoughtful state. He strained his eyes to see the cause of the disturbance. He couldn't believe what was happening. Soldiers were pouring into the city. They rode down the road, some turned and slowly trotted alongside the caravan. Some continued to the palace, forcing the gatekeepers to open the gates and allow the riders in.
Ithobaal recognised the magnificent white battle charger although the face of the rider wasn't visible from the balcony.

He exited the balcony and made his way to the courtyard as quickly as he could. When he reached the riders, Ahab had already dismounted. Ithobaal stood in front of the warrior king, hands on his hips. Gruffly he asked,
"What is the meaning of this?"

Ahab bowed and as he rose he calmly answered.
"Please good King, let us not continue in the same strained atmosphere such as when we departed some months ago. Let us greet each other as friends, glad to see each other." Ithobaal, not completely convinced replied.
"Be that as it may, I ask again, what are you doing here?"
Ahab knew he had to tread lightly. He had not won the Tyrian King over yet.
"I have come with the men that are to accompany your traders on their journey, to protect them and their wares. We may not have signed on paper yet, but I have come to honour our agreement."
Ithobaal grumbled under his breath and then audibly asked.
"The conditions remain the same?"
Ahab replied.
"They do. Hopefully they will include the marriage to your daughter."
Ithobaal's head shot up and his stern gaze looked deep into Ahab's eyes as he answered.
"I will not allow my daughter to be part of any treaty. She is Princess Royal. She will not be treated as an animal to be bartered with. Sign the documents as they are or leave."
Ahab quickly implored.
"Forgive me, I meant no disrespect. Completely the opposite. It is because I think so highly of your daughter and because she has a special place in my heart that I seek your blessing for us to be wed."
Ithobaal continued to make eye contact with Ahab, but he didn't want to commit himself, so he answered.
"Itha-baal is a strong minded woman and like her departed mother, has a mind of her own. No matter what I say, if she does not want to marry you, no one will be able to force her!"

Just then a shriek came from the palace entrance. Itha-baal came running across the courtyard, ran past her father and threw her arms around Ahab's neck and hugged him tightly. Ahab looked over her shoulder at her father. Both men showed absolute surprise. Itha-baal pulled away slightly and looking into Ahab's eyes, her smile stretching across her face, her face was radiant as she exclaimed:
"I knew you'd come for me."
The Tyrian King shook his head, turned and started back to the palace building. If anyone was in earshot, they would have heard him mumble,
"Well, that answers that question!"